Are you looking for the best wood router to create wood patterns, designs, or grooves? Well, you’ve come to the right place.
Wood routers carve and shape wood in multiple ways to create perfect furniture. Whether you use a plunge-base, fixed-base, or hand-held routers, these tools create beautiful profiles, duplicate patterns, and engrave letters or pictures on wood.
But how can you find the best wood routers?
Worry not. This guide provides you with a list of the best wood routers for your next woodworking project.
To help your search, here is a brief overview of the 6 best wood routers:
- Best Wood Router – Makita RT0701CX7
- Best Runner-Up Wood Router – Porter Cable Router (PCE6435)
- Best Premium Choice Wood Router – DeWalt DWP611PK
- Best Budget Wood Router – Avid Power Fixed Base
- Best Performance Wood Router – Triton TRA001 Router
- Best Professional Wood Router – Bosch Router Tool (PR20EVSNK)
I have provided a comprehensive guide below for each tool. I based the recommendations from customer reviews, router features and quality, safety, and price.
I will list a brief overview of each product and state why it stands out in its category.
Let’s find you the best wood router.
Best Wood Router – Makita RT0701CX7
Makita RT0701CX7 1-1/4 Compact Router Kit
The Makita RT0701CX7 is an ideal router for all kinds of woodwork. Its lightweight body allows easy maneuverability and smooth operation at different angles.
The router is easy to set up, making it suitable for both beginners and experienced woodworkers.
I believe the Makita RT0701CX7 is the best overall wood router because of the following reasons:
- It has a 1-1/4 horsepower motor that delivers maximum power (6.5 AMP), making it ideal for DIYers and workshops.
- It can cut and carve wood in different settings without changing speed thanks to the 10,000 to 30,000 blade speeds.
- It operates quietly.
- Electronic speed ensures the machine maintains constant speed during operations.
- It includes a slow-soft start component that helps you observe and stop tear-outs.
- The router is lightweight, weighing 3.9 pounds.
- The slim, ergonomic body design increases comfort, control, and precision.
- It is easy to adjust the depth or install the base using the quick release feature.
- The router is built with heavy-duty aluminum to increase durability.
- The depth scales are easy to read.
- You get a better visual of the woodwork due to the high base design.
- The shaft lock enables you to make easy and quick bit changes.
- The router is double insulated.
- The smooth rack-and-pinion-fine system ensures you get accurate woodwork results.
- The machine has smooth start-ups due to the soft start feature.
- You can fix an optional dust collection pot when using the fixed base.
- 1-year warranty.
- ¼” collet
- 1-1/4 Hp Compact router
- Plunge base
- Two spanner wrenches
- Straight guide
My Favorite Feature: “Quick Release Cam Lock System”
- The quick-release cam lock system allows quick base removal and installation.
It also facilitates easy depth adjustments and ensures the fence remains in place. Operators have an easy time making depth adjustments using this feature.
Best Runner-Up Wood Router – Porter Cable Router
PORTER-CABLE Router, Variable Speed, ¼-Inch Laminate Trimmer, 5.6-Amp (PCE6435)
The Portable cable router is what you need for different types of woodwork. Not only is it ideal for shaping laminate countertops, but for trimming routing applications.
The router delivers precise patterns and designs at a pocket-friendly price.
I believe the Portable Cable Router PCE6435 stands out because of the following reasons:
- It has a 5.6-amp motor that power and facilitates router speeds of 16,000 – 35,000 RPM when cutting through various materials.
- The cast-aluminum fixed base allows better precision when making designs.
- The router features a depth ring that enables fast and accurate height adjustments of the bits.
- The extra-large locking clips help adjust the course depth as well as motor release.
- The spindle lock button supports changes in the single-wrench bit.
- The flat tops make it easier to change router bits.
- The included LED lighting improves visibility and precision.
- The ergonomics make the router more comfortable.
- The laminate trimmer includes electronics that monitor and maintain the router speeds when cutting.
- 3-year warranty.
- Edge guide
- ¼ inch collet diameter
- Collet wrench
- Standard fixed base
- Straight edge guide
- Operating manual
My Favorite Feature: “Smart Ergonomics”
- Smart ergonomics improves comfort, control, and precision.
Operators have better single-hand control and maximum visibility when working. In addition, the presence of LED improves visibility and precision.
Best Premium Choice Wood Router – DeWalt DWP611PK
DEWALT Router Fixed/Plunge Base Kit, Variable Speed, 1.25-HP Max Torque (DWP611PK)
For years, DeWalt has worked tirelessly to get recognized for its quality products. This is why the DeWalt DWP611PK falls in line with this vision as it offers superior quality at a premium price.
The router is effective, easy to use, and durable. It is equipped with a plunge base router and a fixed base router to deliver professional results.
Other than the above reasons, here are more reasons why DeWalt DWP611PK is MY premium choice:
- It features a 1.25 HP motor that powers the router to match the toughest operations.
- The soft-start motor facilitates constant feedback to maintain optimal motor speed when cutting through.
- The clear sub-base and dual LEDs enhance maximum visibility.
- The extended sub-base improves user control by increasing the work surface.
- It allows easy and quick motor transitions between plunge base and fixed base.
- The router is comfortable and secure due to the over-molded rubber handles.
- The fine-tune adjustment (1/64″) on the plunge base allows precise depth setting.
- The DWP611PK comes with a large and low-pressure spindle-lock button for comfortable changes in the single wrench bit.
- The ¼ inch collet increases the surface contact for a tighter grip.
- It is durable thanks to the base construction and aluminum motor housing.
- Its compact size makes it portable.
- The large plunge base makes the router stable during heavy operations.
- Can achieve depth travel of 1.5″ with a standard base and 2″ for plunge base.
- Has a 3-year warranty.
- DeWalt DWP611PK compact router
- Fixed base
- DNP612 plunge base
- Collet wrench
- Storage bag
My Favorite Feature: “Variable Speed Control”
- The router has a variable speed control that optimizes bit speeds of 16,000 – 27,000 RPM.
With it, you can easily adjust the router to match your woodwork needs without reducing the bit speeds.
Best Budget Wood Router – Avid Power 6.5
Avid Power 6.5-amp 1.25 HP Compact Router with Fixed Base, 5 Trim Router Bits, Variable Speed, Edge Guide, Roller Guide, and Dust Hood
If you are looking for a budget-friendly wood router without compromising quality, the Avid Power fixed base is the perfect fit.
The machine can cut through different types and depths of wood. This is why it is great for beginners and experienced operators.
Here are the reasons why I believe Avid Power Fixed Base is the best wood router in its category:
- It features a powerful 6.5-amp motor with 1.25 horsepower.
- It has a variable speed control dial of 10,000 – 32,0000 RPM to help you choose the ideal speed.
- It is comfortable to operate over long periods.
- The dust hood ensures the working surface stays clean.
- The aluminum housing guarantees long-term durability.
- The dual LED power lights promotes maximum visibility, especially when working in lowly-lit rooms.
- It features a quick locking system for easy base change and depth adjustments.
- Compatible with ¼” and 3/8″ collets.
- Ideal for routing and trimming.
- 1.25 HP compact router
- 12.1 ft cord
- Edge guide
- 3/8″ and ¼” collet
- Dust extracting nozzle
- Roller guide
- 5 router bits
- Dust hood
- Pair of gloves
My Favorite Feature: “Rack-and-pinion depth adjustment system”
- The machine delivers precise operation due to the rack-and-pinion depth adjustment system.
The measurements improve accuracy. You can work on a range of woodworking and carpentry applications with it.
Best Performance Wood Router – Triton TRA001 Router
Triton TRA001 3-1/4 HP Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router
Why buy a plunge base router and a fixed base router when you can get one combined piece? The Triton TRA001 Router offers the best of both worlds.
It maintains perfect speeds when cutting different materials. The machine also guarantees total control and precision.
Here are the reasons why I recommend Triton TRA001 as the best performance wood router:
- It features a button switch to transition the base from plunge base to fixed base and vice versa.
- The button switch also allows height adjustment.
- It includes a variable speed dial with router speeds of 8,000 – 21,000 RPM.
- It features a 3-1/4 horsepower motor to glide precisely through tough timber.
- The fully enclosed guard help with dust extraction and safety.
- Side air vents limit dust intake in the motor casts, thereby improving operations.
- The soft-start feature reduces the likelihood of tear-ups.
- It delivers precise cut depths through the 3-stage turret feature.
- The safety switch shutter prevents accidental power-on when changing bits.
- It is easy to the bits thanks to the removable plunger springs.
- Easy to set up and make adjustments as a table-mount or hand-held device.
- Effortless bit changes suing the built-in router lift.
- Includes easy access brushes.
- Triton TRA001 Dual-mode plunge router
- Collet wrench
- Multi-function fence
- ¼” reducer
- ½” collet
- Table height winder
- Straight bit
- 12 mm collet
My Favorite Feature: “Multi-function Fence”
- The integration of the multi-function fence feature offers unmatched control when handling the router.
It ensures the operator stays in control when cutting circles or using the router as a hand-held device.
Best Professional Wood Router – Bosch Router Tool
BOSCH PR20EVSNK Colt Installers Kit 5.7 Amp 1Hp Fixed-Base Variable-Speed Router with 3 Assorted Bases and Edge Guide
The Bosch PR20EVSNK stands out among other palm wood routers. The ergonomic palm design makes it comfortable to hold.
Although it has ample power, the soft grip makes it easy to use.
Here is why I think Bosch PR20EVSNK is the best professional wood router:
- Its small design delivers precision and accuracy.
- The fixed base has a quick clamp system that facilitates easy adjustments of the motor.
- The offset base allows easy bit changes.
- The tilt base allows routing in inaccessible areas and angles.
- It has a durable housing made of aluminum construction.
- It can be used for slot cutting, installing round-overs on deck rails, decorative inlays, window cut-outs, and mortising hinges.
- Includes variable speeds of 16,000-35,000 RPM.
- It features the highest horsepower rating (1.0) for small wood routers.
- The front spindle lock improves work convenience.
- It is easy to change the speed dials mounted at the top.
- The angled cord gives you job flexibility.
- The different accessories included improving precision and versatility.
- Its lightweight nature makes it portable.
- PR20EVS Motor
- 17 mm collet wrench
- 10 mm shaft wrench
- ¼” self-releasing collet chuck
- PR001 fixed base
- Tilt base
- Offset base
- Roller guide
- Drop-forged wrenches
- Pal-grip router
- Straight edge guide
- Underscribe plate with wrenches
- Offset base with roller guide
- Carrying case
My Favorite Feature: “Constant Response Circuitry”
- The constant response circuitry ensures the wood router maintains speed during operations.
This feature enables an operator to work consistently through different wood surfaces. In turn, the results are clean and burn-free.
The best wood routers create intricate designs, cut to depth, and round edges. For this reason, whether you are a beginner or an experienced operator, find a machine that matches your needs.
However, before making the purchase, consider the router’s power, motor speed, accessories, ease-of-use, and price.
Makita RT0701CX7 matches the above criteria making it the best wood router. It is powerful, easy-to-use, and durable. Besides, its price tag is pocket-friendly.
I hope this guide helps you find the best wood router for your needs.