If you’re looking for the perfect woodworking tool to sand your drywall or gypsum board wall, then you need to go for the best sander for drywall.
This tool can give your wall a smooth finish after plastering. And if you want to remove wallpaper, paint, extra plaster, or other unwanted debris, the sander for drywall is the perfect way to go.
Hence, I created this article to show you a few options for the best sander for drywall.
So, let’s get started.
I did a quick summary of the best sanders for drywalls—alongside their key features in this section—to give you a quick overview without reading the entire article.
- Best Sander for Drywall – Makita XLS01Z
- Runner-up Sander for Drywall – Festool 571935
- Best Dual-Head Sander for Drywall – WEN 6377
- Best Professional Grade Sander for Drywall – Porter-Cable 7800
- Best Budget Sander for Drywall – WEN 6369
- Best Reliable Electric Sander for Drywall – Bosch OS50VC
- Best Portable Manual Sander for Drywall – DeWalt 20V DCW210P1
- Best Beginner-friendly Sander for Drywall – Zeny 800W
- Best Renovation Sander for Drywall – Power-Pro 2100
- Best Heavy-Duty Sander for Drywall – Festool 575219
Finding the best sanders for Drywalls was quite tricky—considering the number of options available. So, I did a lot of research and testing and arrived at the top 10 options listed in this article.
My aim for writing this article is to give you a clear understanding and help your buying decision when choosing a sander for drywall.
Hence, I made the article as concise and straightforward as possible by summarizing all the top 10 products.
I recommend that you read this article comprehensively—to get the best out of it.
So, here are my top picks:
1. Runner-up Sander for Drywall – Festool 571935
The Festool 571935 is the perfect tool if you’re looking for a simple and easy-to-use sander for drywall.
The brand even stated clearly that this model does an excellent job of finishing drywall efficiently. Another highlight of this machine is its user-friendliness.
Are you still wondering why we rated it as our runner-up easy-to-use sander? Here’s why we think so:
- It’s easy to set up and operate. As a result, it increases your work efficiency as you focus on the job
- It’s lightweight. So, the tool reduces the rate at which the user gets tired while using the device
- It has a 400-920 RPM engine speed and an 8.9” (225mm) Abrasive diameter
- The design is flexible and offers unrestricted movement, which makes sanding easier
- The combination of intuitive controls, perfect balance, and lightweight makes drywall sanding more straightforward
- Dust control reduces the mess you have to clean up when you finish working
- (1) StckFix sanding pad (215mm)
- (1) LHS-E 225-BAG carrying bag
- (1) Planex LHS 225 Drywall sander
My Favorite Feature: “Brushless EC-TEC Technology”
- It uses a direct drive EC tec brushless motor that supplies power to the PLANEX without cables
You can enjoy unrivaled freedom when drywall sanding with this tool’s wireless and flexible head joint.
Since there is no wire connecting the motor to the surface, you can move around without restrictions and even detach the top section for a close-up sanding (especially for surfaces with inside edges)
2. Best Maneuverable Sander for Drywall – Makita XLS01Z
The Makita brand is well known for producing tools with high quality and performance. Thankfully, the Makita XLS01Z is a sturdy tool with impressive performance.
Also, the tool has an unrivaled maneuverability capability that lets you sand across various wall surfaces.
Here’s why we think the Makita XLS01Z is the best maneuverable drywall sander on the market:
- The head swivel is very flexible. As a result, you can maneuver your tool across different wall orientations. No matter how sloppy or cornered the wall is, this tool can handle it
- The tool doesn’t use regular carbon brushes for its motor. Instead, it uses the BL brushless motor for a longer and cooler runtime
- The BL brushless motor is placed directly at the sanding head, which increases your work efficiency and reduces the need for maintenance
- The powerful 18v LXT 5,0ah battery gives you 35 minutes of runtime with a single charge
- You can extend and collapse the adjustable pipe to fit into confined spaces or high areas
- (1) 9” round sanding backing pad
- (1) 46″ contractor tool bag
- (1) 9” round Abrasive disc
- (1) Hook & Loop 120 grit
- (1) Hex wrench
- (1) Makita XLSO1Z drywall sander (no battery and charger included)
My Favorite Feature: “Innovative Dust Management System”
- This tool uses Bluetooth to turn the dust extractor on/off wirelessly
Dust extraction is a feature common to all sanders, but the highlight is the wireless communication between the tool and the dust extractor. That is, you can turn it on and off without reaching down for a switch.
3. Best Dual-Head Sander for Drywall – WEN 6377
The Wen 6377 is a best seller in this category. The brand emphasizes that two heads are better than one and follows this up with the exceptional performance of the tool.
Based on what the WEN brand produces, it’s safe to say that the 6377 is one of their special tools.
Here’s why we think this tool is the best in this category:
- The tool comes with two hook and loop sanding heads (one circular and one triangular) that lets you easily install without the need for tools
- You can adjust the speed from 600 to 1500 RPM with the tool’s variable speed adjustment feature
- The dust you generate from your work gets removed automatically with the innovative dust collection system (with one 15 foot hose)
- A powerful head-mounted motor (5 Amp) gives the sanding disk the maximum torque achievable
- (1) Drywall sander
- (6) hook and loop sandpaper disks
- (6) hook and loop triangular sandpaper
- (1) flexible dust vacuum hose (stretches up to 15ft)
My Favorite Feature: “Pivoting Head”
- The pivoting head moves in all directions. So, you can use the tool on any surface
The WEN drywall sander automatically adjusts itself on every surface. With this feature, you can get the most out of the dual head by choosing an option that best fits your task at hand.
4. Best Professional Grade Sander for Drywall – Porter-Cable 7800
If you’re an expert looking for a tool worthy of your job, the PORTER-CABLE 7800 is a great option to consider.
This corded electric drywall sander will always give your work a professional touch. That’s why we picked it as the best in this category.
Here’s why we think this tool is the best professional-grade sander:
- The device is lightweight, which helps to reduce fatigue build-up as you work
- You can adjust the speed from 1400 to 2000 RPM with a variable speed controller
- Thanks to the tool’s hook and loop straps, you can mount and handle the device easily
- It comes with a 13-foot vacuum hose attached to an in-built dust collection house
- The sanding head allows you to work on broad areas without changing your position
- (1) Porter-cable 7800 drywall sander
- (1) Sanding pad
- (1) Hook and loop straps
- (1) 13-inch static dissipating hose
My Favorite Feature: “Brush-Type Skirt”
- A brush-type skirt surrounds the sanding pad
You can prevent damages to the wall joints you’re working on with the brush-type skirt. It also assists you in dust collection. Plus, the motor located at the opposite end of the sanding pad balances the tool and gives better control.
5. Best Budget Sander for Drywall – WEN 6369
The WEN 6369 is an excellent tool for those with a strict budget. Plus, it’s the no.1 best seller on amazon.
The best part is:
There’s an option to purchase the version with 80-grit sandpaper.
Here’s why we think the WEN 6369 is the best budget drywall sander on the market:
- It comes at an affordable price for a drywall sanding tool
- You can use the variable speed adjustment to get the right speed for the job (anywhere from 600 -1500 RPM)
- The sanding disk gets its maximum torque from the powerful head-mounted motor (5 Amps)
- The tool’s foldable design makes it easy to store and transport
- You can change the sandpaper grit easily with the hook and loop base pad
- (1) Drywall sander
- (6) Pcs hook and loop sandpaper disks
- (1) Flexible dust vacuum hose (stretches up to 15 inches)
My Favorite Feature: “Automatic Dust Removal”
- The automatic dust removal reduces clean up with the 15-foot dust hose
With this feature, a messy workspace is a thing of the past. You can rely on the long dust hose to efficiently keep the dust and debris build-up at a minimum.
6. Best Reliable Electric Sander for Drywall – Bosch OS50VC
The BOSCH OS50VC is one tool you can always depend on to get the job done effectively.
The tool is specifically for electrical, plumbing, and HVAC contractors. It is also great for deburring and chamfering pre-drilled hole openings and cutting different materials with accuracy. Even the most rigid materials don’t stand a chance.
Here’s why the BOSCH OS50VC is the best reliable drywall sander on the market:
- The tool is incredibly versatile, with the ability to flush vertical surfaces
- It uses a SheetLoc supreme paper clamping system to make the paper fit perfectly
- You get a comfortable experience with the tool as it offers the lowest vibrations you can get from any electric sander
- It has a translucent dust canister that you can empty easily
- (1) BOSCH OS50VC sander
- (1) Removable front handle
- (1) Vacuum hose adapter
- (1) Set of sanding sheet and punch plate
- (1) Dust filter canister
- (1) Hex wrench (5 mm)
My Favorite Feature: “Accurate and Clean Cuts”
- The BOSCH is excellent for accurately cutting different materials
You can get clean and accurate cuts on various materials (even the toughest ones) with this tool.
7. Best Portable Manual Sander for Drywall – DeWalt 20V DCW210P1
The DEWALT 20V Max is a small but powerful drywall sander that you may love to get your hands on.
Its small size and cordless design make it very easy to carry around. Plus, it comes with a one-handed locking dust bag that makes it look professional and even more portable.
For this reason, we selected the tool as our best portable drywall sander.
Here’s why we think the tool is the best in its category:
- The brushless motor gives you all the efficiency and power you need to get the job done
- The powerful battery gives a long-lasting runtime
- Get the right speed ranging from 8,000 to 12,000 OPM with the variable speed control feature
- You can easily replace the eight-hole hook and loop sanding pad paper
- A dust seal protects the switch from dust particles and ensures a long switch life
- The tool’s rubber mold grip is comfortable to hold
- (1) DEWALT DCW210P1 sander
- (1) 20v max battery
- one-handed locking dust bag
My Favorite Feature: “Wide Selection of 20V Max Batteries”
- You can choose any 20V max battery for this device
With this feature, you can select any of the available 20V max batteries regardless of the power. The maximum initial battery voltage for the tools is 20 volts.
8. Best Beginner-friendly Sander for Drywall – Zeny 800W
If you’re not into complicated mechanisms, or you find it hard to follow things that are not straightforward, then you’re in luck.
The ZENY 800W is a user-friendly tool that makes sanding walls and ceilings easy. It’s an excellent tool for DIYers.
The tool is guaranteed to get the job done faster with better results and lesser effort.
Here’s why we think the ZENY 800W is the best in its class:
- It’s possible to easily adjust the speed of the tool depending on the application (1,000 to 2,000 RPM)
- The high-power 800W motor dishes out enough power for grinding drywall, interior walls, exterior walls, ceilings, paint coatings, loose plaster, adhesives, and floor residue
- The ergonomic design of the tool is easy to operate. It has a switch that you can access with your thumb and a handle that fits the hand perfectly and gives increased control.
- (1) drywall sander
- (1) sander hose
- (1) wrench
- (2) brushes
- (1) screwdriver
- (1) manual
- (6) sand pads
My Favorite Feature: “Removable Sander Base”
- The ZENY 800W features a detachable brush segment and sander base.
This feature makes it easy for the tool to sand edges or perpendicular areas. To reach such places, you can detach the bottom from the device to gain increased reach.
9. Best Renovation Sander for Drywall – Power-Pro 2100
The Power-pro 2100 is a powerful renovation tool that gives the most efficient drywall sanding.
It works faster than the standard drywall sanding tool and sands the hard-to-reach ceilings and walls.
The Power-pro 2100 is an excellent tool for DIYers and seasoned professionals that wish to add finishing touches to a new house construction or for fast renovations.
Here’s why we think this product is the best in its category:
- The powerful 710W motor gives steady power to the sanding pad, and you can mount it on the stem of the tool to balance the lightweight body (14lb)
- You can add a vacuum to the tool for efficient dust extraction from drywalls
- The speed of the 2100 motor varies from 1000 to 2100 RPM
- You can adjust the 9-inch diameter sanding head in different directions while keeping the head flat to the wall
- (1) Carrying bag
- (1) Anti-static dust hose and adapters
- (1) Integrated auxiliary handle
- (1) Hex key
- (1) Screwdriver
- (1) Manual
- Sanding discs (9 inches)
- Extra carbon brushes
My Favorite Feature: “Exceptional Control”
- The aluminum alloy can extend the sander up to 6ft which gives it a more comprehensive range of use
This feature makes the tool fully extendable to work in areas that are hard to reach with conventional sanders. In addition, you can maintain control of the device by using multiple handles and grips.
10. Best Heavy-Duty Sander for Drywall – Festool 575219
The Festool 575219 is a great tool that focuses on dust extraction and making your work environment clean.
It is our best heavy-duty sander because the dust extractor is bigger than the other drywall sanders on this list.
Here’s why we think the Festool 575219 is the best heavy-duty sander on the market:
- This machine can easily extend or reduce its length in seconds
- It has two gears for quick and efficient material removal on ceilings and walls
- You can decrease the suction power of the machine and also reduce its weight
- The device is portable for easy storage and use
- It has excellent sanding precision and performance
- (1) Festool 575219 Planex Drywall Sander
- (1) StickFix sanding pad (215 mm)
My Favorite Feature: “Dust-Free Sanding”
- This model allows you to get the hard-to-reach areas and leave the dust behind
With this feature, you can avoid having a messy situation once you finish your project. Also, you can pair the tool with a CT 36 AC Dust Extractor—to minimize the airborne dust and get the perfect mess-free finish.
If you’re still reading, it means you’ve gotten a deeper understanding of the best sander for drywall. So, you’re likely to make a well-informed decision that will help you get results when sanding drywall.
That said, I chose the Makita XLS01Z as the number one choice. And it’s because it ticked the boxes for flexibility and adaptability. Plus, it works on almost all types of drywalls.
Festool 571935 took the runner-up position for its easy-to-use feature, making it an excellent option for DIYers and newbies. Also, the tool’s lightweight and 400-920 RPM engine speed is worth mentioning.
Other options are also remarkable and unique for their various functions.
The rule of thumb is to go for an option that best fits your needs.
So, I’d love to know:
Did I do justice to this article? Which of the ten sanders do you prefer the most? Are there others you’d have loved to see here?
I look forward to your suggestions and inputs in the comments section!