Finding the best plunge wood router can be an uphill task. With so many brands marketing their products, you may be overwhelmed by the options.
Plunge wood routers are versatile tools that fulfill a wide range of tasks. They are great for making grooves, rebates, insets, mortices, and cutting dados.
Besides, they can work efficiently on the edges and surface of the board.
To fulfill the above tasks quickly and easily, it is important that you only get the best plunge routers.
Luckily, this guide is meant to help find the best-rated and reviewed plunge routers in 2021.
Here is a sneak peek of the 4 best plunge wood routers with positive reviews:
- Best Plunge Wood Router – Bosch 1617EVSPK
- Best Runner-Up Plunge Wood Router – Makita RP2301FC
- Best Premium Plunge Wood Router – Festool 574692
- Best Professional Plunge Wood Router – Triton TRA 001
This guide extensively covers the best-reviewed and rated plunge wood routers by beginners and experienced operators.
I based my selection on the quality of the product, comfort, safety, and results. To reduce your hassle, I have provided an extensive listing of the product features.
Read through the guide to find the best plunge wood router that suits your needs.
Best Plunge Wood Router – Bosch 1617EVSPK
Bosch 1617EVSPK Wood Router Tool Combo Kit – 2.25 Horsepower Plunge Router & Fixed Base Router Kit with a Variable Speed 12 Amp Motor
The Bosch 1617EVSPK has made it to the top of the list because of its versatility. This heavy-duty router can laminate trimming, round edges, cut tenons and slots, and mill profiles.
The machine is also ergonomic, easy to maneuver, durable, and has safety features in place.
Here are the reasons why I think Bosch 1617EVSPK stands out as the best overall plunge woodcutter:
- It features a 2.25 horsepower engine that is equipped to cut even the toughest wood surfaces.
- The 12-amp electric motor has adjustable speeds of 8,000 – 25,000 RPM for clean and accurate results.
- The special build circuitry maintains the speed of the blade and performance when carving.
- The strong aluminum body makes it durable.
- The wooden, soft-grip handles are comfortable to hold and control from any direction.
- It is lightweight and easy to use.
- The soft-start feature makes the router safer by reducing torque.
- You can opt to use it as a plunge router or a fixed router.
- The quick clamp system makes setting up the router easy and fast.
- The sealed power switch ensures the router does not collect dust and debris when operating.
- You can switch the diameter of the collet from ¼” collet to ½” collet without kickbacks or overheating.
- The precision centering design makes it easier for operators to make the intended cut using templates, jigs, and guidance devices.
- It has three quick, adjustable bit positions.
- The 1-piece armature shift improves accuracy.
- The spring-lock release lever gives you maximum control.
- The threaded holes on the fixed base mean it can be mounted on a router table.
- There is a locking base on the plunge and a fixed base.
- It has a wide base opening for better visibility.
- The base has a microfine bit-depth adjustment feature for accurate and quick changes.
- Accessible dial for speed improves accuracy.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty.
- T-handle wrench
- Plunge base
- Fixed base
- ¼” self-releasing collet
- ½” collet chuck
- Chip shields
- Collet nut wrench
- Shaft wrench
- Carrying case
- EVS motor
My Favorite Feature: “Swappable Base”
- The swappable base feature makes the Bosch 1617EVSPK perfect for DIYers and professionals.
This feature delivers smooth results compared to dedicated plunge models. With it, you get to choose between the fixed and plunge base.
Best Runner-Up Plunge Wood Router – Makita RP2301FC
Makita RP2301FC 3-1/4 HP* Plunge Router, with Variable Speed
Are you looking to upgrade your router with a precise, powerful, and superior model? Makita RP2301FC is the machine you need.
It is versatile and can work on countertops, furniture, cabinets, windows, and doors. Additionally, it is a perfect tool for novice and experienced wood crafters.
I believe Makita RP2301FC is the best runner-up plunge wood router because of the following reasons:
- The oversized ball bearing build makes the router durable.
- It runs on a 3.25 HP powerful motor to achieve excellent precision.
- The robust 15-amp motor can achieve blade speeds of 9,000 – 22,000 RPM.
- The router is engineered with electronic speed control that maintains blade speeds under load.
- It features a built-in fan to reduce dust intake.
- 0 inches to 2-3/4 inches full adjustable plunge depth for easy penetration.
- The rubberized handles maximize control and minimize fatigue.
- The twin LED lights improves visibility and precision.
- It has a smooth turn-on.
- The chip deflector protects an operator by directing chips away.
- Shaft lock enables fast bit changes.
- The depth scales are easy to read.
- The router supports tool-free installations and removals.
- The flat-top design makes the router stable.
- Compatible with ¼” and ½” router bits.
- Increased productivity due to electric brake.
- Linear bearings deliver superior performance and smooth plunging action.
- The router has maximum horsepower.
- The plunge lock lever is conveniently positioned for efficient operations.
- Features a lock-on trigger.
- It is double insulated.
- 1-year warranty.
- ¼” collet
- ½” collet
- Spanner wrench
- Extended depth adjustment knob
My Favorite Feature: “Soft Start”
- The soft-start feature eliminates startling noise when the machine starts. In addition, it prevents the router from jerking and blasting off.
When you switch on the router, the soft start feature increases the speed slowly, making it safer and efficient.
This makes it ideal for beginners.
Best Premium Plunge Wood Router – Festool 574692 Imperial
Festool 574692 Router OF 1400 EQ Imperial
Festool 574692 is ideal for trimming laminate, decorating solid edges, and making heavy cuts. This unit is strong, reliable, and durable.
Known for its clean and mess-free design, the Festool router also boasts ergonomic comfort, accuracy, and control.
Here are more reasons why I recommend Festool 574692 as the best premium plunge wood router:
- It has a small design for maneuverability but with enough power to handle large projects.
- The inbuilt dust extraction system minimizes dust and debris, leaving the workspace clean while prolonging the product’s life. It also improves visibility.
- The side adjustment dial enables you to make a precise cut depth of up to 1/256th an inch.
- It comes with a 1400-watt motor that can carve through all kinds of wood.
- It includes a removable chip deflector.
- The unit is designed to work with MFS multi-routing templates, FS Guide Rail System, LR 32-hole drilling system, and other accessories.
- The swiveling chip deflector attaches and detaches quickly.
- Double column clamping locks are efficient at reducing motor-to-plate deflection.
- The ergonomic handle increases control while reducing fatigue.
- A single wrench ratchet action changes the bits fast and easily.
- It features a 2-3/4 plunge depth.
- It is compatible with ¼”, ½”, and 8mm bits.
- The 13′ plug-it power cord ensures quick interchangeability with other accessories.
- The switch lock maintains control by locking the power switch.
- It operates quietly.
- 3-year warranty.
- Dust extraction hood
- Standard US guide bushing adapter
- Chip catcher
- SYS 4TL Systainer
- Guide rods
- Plug-it power cord
- ¼” collet
- ½” collet
- OF 1400 EQ
- 8mm collet
My Favorite Feature: “MMC Electronic Control”
- The MMC Electronic control ensures the router maintains speed during operation.
This technology monitors the router’s workload continually while making adjustments to suit the load.
The feature improves cut quality, delivers consistent results, and elevates the user’s experience.
Best Professional Plunge Wood Router – Triton TRA 001
Triton TRA001 3-1/4 HP Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router
For professional operators, a plunge router with precision, power, and durability is a must-have tool. The Triton TRA001 delivers this and more.
The all-in-one router is built to perform a wide range of applications. It comes with great features and is simple to operate.
I believe Triton TRA001 is the best plunge woodcutter for professionals because of these reasons:
- It features a variable speed dial of 8,000 – 21,000 RPM.
- Has a 3.5 HP powerful motor.
- For accurate depth adjustment, the router has a micro winder.
- The fine table adjustment proves effective during fixed application.
- The height adjustment crack reduces the need to use other accessories or router lifts.
- The large handle enables operators to use one hand, which improves accuracy and plunging depths.
- It features electronic speed control that maintains constant speed feedback.
- The soft-start prevents kickbacks.
- The full-featured fence gives you clean and smooth cuts.
- It includes a dust extraction that holds 95% of chips.
- The motor blows dust out of the air vents making the unit more durable.
- Easy and quick change of bits.
- The high-grade steel makes it a sturdy and durable construction.
- The multi-functional fence gives operators more control and accuracy when cutting circles and handheld use.
- The safety switch shutter lock ensures the operator’s safety by blocking the motor when changing modes.
- The direct reading scales and 3-stage turret improves precision when cutting.
- The fully enclosed guard makes the unit safe.
- Effortless bit changes with the built-in router lift.
- It includes easy access brushes.
- Has a smooth starting feature.
- It can be used as a plunge or fixed router.
- It features a rack and pinion mode.
- Multi-function Fence
- ½” collet
- ¼” collet
- Collet wrench
- Table height winder
My Favorite Feature: “Automatic Spindle Lock”
- With the automatic spindle lock, it is much easier to change bits. When working with a plunge router, the collets must be tightened to the router bit.
At times, it can be challenging to loosen the bits. The spindle lock, however, snaps into the groove to prevent the spindle from turning.
All you need to do is press the swindle lock, then use a collet to tighten or loosen it.
With so many options in the market, the above products prove to be the best. They can efficiently cut dados, route edges, make grooves, mortises, chamfers, and more.
Bosch 1617EVSPK router wins as the best overall plunge wood router. Beginners and professionals rate it for its easy-to-use design, comfort, and versatility.
Besides, with router speeds of up to 25,000 RPM, the model can work through all kinds of wood.
With that out of the way, consider the features available in each wood router before making the final decision.