Unlike the regular belt sander, a power orbital sander is a woodworking tool that comes with a unique cutting movement—with its abrasive disc spinning circularly and the entire pad moving in an oval twist.
So, whether you want to;
- Sand your kitchen cabinets—in anticipation of painting
- Sand off the old paint on a workpiece
- Or smoothen a piece of furniture for a new coat
An orbital sander will undoubtedly make your sanding easier and faster.
But finding the best orbital sander could be tricky—considering the numerous options available in the market.
That’s why I’ve created this article to help you choose the best options.
Let’s dive in.
If you plan to run through this long and in-depth article on the best orbital sanders, then you need to see this;
- Best Palm Orbital Sander – Bosch ROS20VSC
- Best Compact Design Orbital Sander – Skil 5 SR211601
- Best Budget Portable Orbital Sander – Black+Decker BDERO100
- Best Cordless Orbital Sander: Makita XPB01Z 18V LXT
- Best Heavy Duty Orbital Sander – Ingersoll Rand 328B
- Best Corded Electric Random Orbital Sander – DeWalt DWE6421K
- Best Air Powered Orbital Sander – Dynabrade 56815
- Best Mini Random Orbital Sander – Chicago Pneumatic CP7200s
- Best Value Pneumatic Palm Orbital Sander – 3M Original Series 20317
- Runner Up Orbital Sander- Makita XOB01T
I took the time to do comprehensive research on the best orbital sanders in the market. Finally, I came up with 10 top choices—tailored for various specific needs.
I also did my best to be as straightforward as possible—when describing each product.
If you’re new to orbital sanders, I suggest you take the time to go through the entire article. That way, you’d have a clearer view of the various orbital sanders that exist.
So, let’s begin with the top 10 orbital sanders.
1. Best Palm Sander – Bosch ROS20VSC
The Bosch ROS20VSC is the only palm sander of the ROS series with a separate on and off speed control.
It’s one of the reasons I selected it as our best palm sander.
I found many similarities when I compared the unit to its counterpart palm sanders: ROS 10 and ROS20VSK. But in the end, the ROS20VSC emerged as the best of the three.
Here’s why I think this model outshines the rest in its category:
- An installed pad dampening system that removes swirl marks from surfaces and ensures a smooth finish
- It’s easy to attach sanding disks to the tool
- It comes with a microfilter system that collects fine particles of dust (as tiny as ½ micron diameter) and creates a safe environment for breathing while working. So, you won’t have to deal with a messy workshop
- Features a soft grip and body that makes it comfortable and pleasant to hold. It also eliminates tiring single grip positions by allowing multiple grip positions
- The sanding kit includes a carrying case, vacuum adapter, dampening ring, sanding disc, dust canister, and a sanding pad.
- Bosch ROS20VSC 5-inch Random Orbital Sander
- Sanding disc
- Contractor bag
- Soft backing pad
- Vacuum hose adapter
My Favorite Feature – “Adjustable Speed”
- This tool features a variable speed control that can adjust between 7500 and 12000 OPM.
You can always get the speed you want for each task which translates to increased efficiency and control.
2. Best Compact Design Orbital Sander – Skil 5 SR211601
The SKIL SR211601 is a fast and powerful tool that has many remarkable features.
Other brands like Beyond by Black+Decker came close, but I felt the SKIL 5” stood out for its design—making it the best compact sander.
User control and the ability to get into tight spaces were part of my criteria for this category. Interestingly, this tool passed the mark by offering just that and some other cool features.
Here’s why I think this tool is outstanding in this category:
- It delivers smooth and powerful performance with a 2.8 amp motor rotating at the maximum speed of 13000 OPM. So, you can use the tool for different sanding applications
- You can control the speed and get what you want for each material with the variable speed control
- It comes with a dust-sealed on/off switch that’s relatively easy to operate
- The tool allows you to stay comfortable while working with its soft rubber grip and low vibrations
- Ergonomic and compact design allows you to sand all tight spaces and corners
- You can easily change your sanding sheets and other attachments
- (1) SKIL 5” random orbital sander
- (1) Sanding disc
- (1) Set of sanding sheets
- (1) Dust container
Favorite Feature: “Easy to Clean Dust Container”
- This tool uses a cyclone force to collect dust from the work environment. Plus, it’s easy to empty the contents of the container
With this feature, it’s almost impossible to have dust flying around or breathing in hazardous. In other words, using this model allows you to stay focused on your task and worry less about tidying up.
3. Best Budget Portable Orbital Sander – Black+Decker BDERO100
Black+Decker is a sweet combination of high performance and affordability.
From the look of things, no brand offers excellent performance at an affordable price like Black+Decker BDERO100. That’s why I selected it as the best budget orbital sander.
Here’s why I think this model is the best in its category:
- The tool offers high-performance thanks to its 2.0 amp motor. Plus, it gives a smooth finish and eliminates swirls as well
- The model’s efficiency is worth mentioning as it delivers 12000 orbits per minute for quick sanding
- Its inbuilt dust collection system prevents a build-up of dirt and debris in your workspace
- The comfortable grip handle allows you to work comfortably with less arm fatigue
- The tool can easily remove stains, paints, and varnish from wood and make them shine
- Changing the sandpaper grit is quick and hassle-free, thanks to its hook and loop system.
- (1) BDERO100 sander
- (1) sanding sheet
- (1) dust bag
My Favorite Feature: “Lightweight and Compact Design”
- The tool has a compact design and weighs only 3.16 pounds
You can get a more versatile sanding with this tool as it fits in enclosed and tight spaces.
4. Best Cordless Sander: Makita XPB01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 5”
The Makita XOB01Z 18V LXT is an excellent tool for woodworkers that prefer cordless tools.
It offers features that are hard to ignore and ensures you get value for your money.
In short, the Makita XPB01Z is the perfect option if you want a cordless option with an ergonomic design that’s effective for different sanding applications.
Here are other reasons why I think this tool is the best cordless sander on the market:
- It allows you to enjoy fast material removal with the tool’s three-speed settings (7000, 9500, or 11000 orbits per minute)
- The battery-powered tool gives you a maximum of 40 minutes runtime on low speed and a minimum of 20 minutes on high speed for a single charge
- With one touch, you can easily switch between fast, medium, and low speeds on the tool’s electronic speed control
- Thanks to its ergonomic design and body, you’ll get maximum comfort as you work
- Big 1/8 inches random orbital action that makes your sanding fast and eliminates swirls
- The switch and bearing are sealed, blocking out dust and increasing the lifespan of the tool
- The pad control system allows you to control the speed of the pad when the tool is in operation
- It features a pad brake that helps you control free spin and improve your overall finish
- The dust collection system prevents your work environment from getting messy
- (1) 5” Makita X0B01Z 18V LXT random orbit sander
- (1) Hook and loop sanding grit
- (1) Dust bag
- (1) Round abrasive disc
- 120 grit
My Favorite Feature: “Battery Protection System”
- This feature protects your battery from overheating, overload, and over-discharge—which offers efficient power management
This feature is fascinating as it can save you from a lot of battery-related problems. The overheat protection constantly monitors the battery’s temperature and stops it when it gets too hot.
The overload protection prevents a battery overload by allowing seamless communication between the battery and the tool. Also, the over-discharge protection feature shuts down the device when the battery is low, extending the battery’s life.
5. Best Heavy Duty Orbital Sander – Ingersoll Rand 328B
Ingersoll Rand is famous for its innovative designs, high quality, durability, performance, reliability.
With that said, the Ingersoll Rand 328B doesn’t fall short. On the contrary, it’s a very effective tool that gives unrivaled performance and solutions. Plus, it is entirely air-powered.
Here’s why I think this tool is the best heavy-duty sander on the market:
- The powerful air geared orbital allows you to turn heavy material and body fillers on big, flat surfaces into dust with its sizeable 8-inch pad
- It provides a smooth and swirl-free surface
- The tool has low vibration that offers top performance without wearing out the user
- It has a long life span and tends to perform like a new product
- It weighs only 2.48 pounds
- The design fits your hand and takes the pressure off your palm
- (1) 228B air geared orbital sander
- (1) 8-inch pad
- (1) Operating manual
My Favorite Feature: “Variable Speed Control”
- The dual-action pad motion and variable speed gives you complete control of the tool’s performance
With this feature, users can control the power and precision of the tool. That way, it’s possible to handle sophisticated work.
6. Best Corded Electric Random Orbital Sander – DeWalt DWE6421K
The DEWALT DWE6421K succeeded the well-known DEWALT D26453K as an upgrade to its predecessor.
It’s also one of the reasons I rated it as the best corded electric random orbital sander.
After all, it offers good value for money without sacrificing the tool’s performance.
Here’s why I feel this tool is the best corded electric random orbital sander:
- A powerful 3.0 amp motor that spins the tool at 12000 orbits per minute
- The device has a shorter height compared to other sanders making users close to the workpiece
- It has an improved dust collection system with an easy locking dust bag
- The tool offers increased comfort with its counterweight design
- The switch comes with a seal that prevents dust ingestion
- The dust port is a perfect fit for the DWV012 and DWV010 dust collectors
- You can attach the dust port to another vacuum system (with the same hose size) by using a universal connector
- (1) DEWALT DWE6421K random orbital sander
- (1) Carrying bag
- (1) Dust bag
- (1) User manual
My Favorite Feature: “Rubber Overmold”
- The Rubber overmold cover all critical areas of this tool and give a comfortable grip
The rubber-covered body makes the tool comfortable and pleasing to touch. In addition, it prevents the critical areas from getting damaged.
7. Best Air Powered Orbital Sander – Dynabrade 56815
The Dynabrade brand makes some of the best sanders in the market. So, it’s no wonder I found the Dynabrade 56815 to be the best air-powered sander.
The best part is:
The tool has three variations for different purposes and users. Hence, if you have small hands, you can purchase the Dynorbital spirit. But, if you want a more powerful variation, the Dynorbital supreme is ideal.
Here’s why I rated the Dynabrade 56815 as the best in its category:
- Though the tool is non-vacuum, you can convert it to a central vacuum tool by getting the vacuum conversion kit
- The tool is comfortable, and it offers extra support for your wrist and hands. It also protects against cold air exhaust
- The triple-sealed bearing is protected from dust residue for low maintenance and longer life. Plus, it’s easy to replace
- Rubber overmold gives a non-slip feel and protects the tool from cold
- Refined ergonomic design and an increased vacuum power make that boosts the tool’s durability and performance
- (1) Bare tool (Dynabrade 56915 orbital sander)
My Favorite Feature: “Compound Rotor”
- The rotor uses five blades to produce better power
This feature is my favorite because it is stronger than the regular rotor and offers better lubrication.
8. Best Mini Random Orbital Sander – Chicago Pneumatic CP7200s
The CP7200S kit offers everything you expect from a mini random orbital sander.
The kit is part of Chicago Pneumatic’s small area repair tools series. The kit includes a lot of tools that complete your mini orbital sander.
But, if you don’t fancy the kit, you can opt for the standalone tool.
Here’s why I think the tool is the best in its class:
- The sander has a small and lightweight design that strays away from the usual large sander design
- You can adjust the speed of the tool to match your work with a regulator
- Its gun-like shape makes it easy to sand in tight spaces
- The device has a two-finger throttle that makes control easy and less stressful
- It features a rubber mold grip for maximum comfort
- (1) mini random orbital sander
- (10) 2-inch 320, 400, and 600 grit sandpaper
- (1) heavy-duty carrying case with a spindle key
- (10) 3-inch 320, 400, and 600 sandpaper grit
- (1) 2-inch and 3-inch backing pad
My Favorite Feature: “Silent Handle Exhaust”
- This feature blows exhaust air away from the work area
I like this feature because it keeps the work area safe from hazardous exhaust fumes. This way, the user can concentrate on completing tasks quickly.
9. Best Value Pneumatic Palm Orbital Sander – 3M Original Series 20317
The 3M 20317 offers the best value for money because it comes with remarkable features and an affordable price
It’s a compact and ergonomic tool that packs a lot of power and durability.
Here’s why I think this tool offers the best value:
- It offers professional performance with its powerful 0.28 HP motor. It is powerful enough for finishing and sanding wood, metal, and composites.
- The balanced motor gives a smoother operation. So, it’s comfortable and easy to control with ease
- You can easily attach the adhesive disc
- It has a durable aluminum body and composite cover
- (1) 3M random orbital sander 20317 pneumatic non-vacuum tool
- (1) Sample of 3M air tool lubricant
- (1) User manual
- 3M stikit disc pad
- 24mm pad wrench
My Favorite Feature: “Pneumatic Power”
- Its pneumatic power supplies hours of continuous use
The 3M sander’s pneumatic power is superior to the regular electric sanders. That is, users can keep working for hours without stressing the tool.
10. Runner Up Orbital Sander- Makita XOB01T
The Makita X0B01T kit offers slightly better performance than the Makita XOB01T standalone tool, hence its position as the best orbital sander kit.
The standalone Makita XOB01T is quite powerful. But, the kit has even more power and tools for users to enjoy.
Here’s why I selected this tool as the best of its class:
- It has three-speed settings – low (7,000), medium (9,500), and high (11,000) orbits per minute
- Users can enjoy up to 65 minutes of low speed and 32 minutes of high-speed battery power
- The battery offers up to 65% increased runtime per charge
- One-touch speed control
- (1) 18v LXT Random Orbital Sander (XOB01Z)
- (2) 5.0AH batteries
- (1) Dust bag
- (1) Round abrasive disc and a hoop and loop 120 grit
- (1) Rapid optimum charger
My Favorite Feature: “More Battery Power”
- The kit offers longer runtimes with low and high speeds.
Purchasing the kit over the tool comes with greater battery power. Plus, it comes with two powerful batteries and a fast charger.
So, there you’ve it: the 10 best orbital sanders.
I chose Ingersoll Rand 328B as the best heavy-duty sander because of its performance and high-powered machine. So, if you’re a professional that handles robust projects, this sander is the way to go.
My runner-up orbital sander is the Makita XOB01T, thanks to its high battery power and three-speed settings.
If you’re looking for a budget and portable orbital sander, Black+Decker BDERO100 is the perfect go-to, especially if you’re a newbie.
In closing, I recommend you pick one that best fits your sanding needs.
So, I’d love to know; which of the orbital sander is your favorite? Are there other options you feel should be on this list?
Please, let us know what you think—by dropping your comments and suggestions.