A miter saw is one of the most powerful tools you can have in your inventory.
Are you a bit pressed for time?
No worries, I’ve made it easy for you with a list of the best miter saws:
- DeWalt DWS780 Miter Saw
- Bosch GCM12SD Miter Saw
- DeWalt DWS715 Miter Saw
- Hitachi C10FCH2 Miter Saw
- Makita LS1016L Miter Saw
- Black Decker M1850BD Miter Saw
Whether you’re using a miter saw for a DIY project around your workshop, or you’re a professional contractor using it for large scale jobs such as remodeling a home, they provide a fine mix of both power and precision with their cutting ability.
There are many miter saws out there to choose from, and so much choice can often be too much, can’t it? I know exactly how that feels, so I’ve created this guide to give you an idea of what the six best miter saws on the market can offer you in terms of service.
I’ve pinpointed the best features and specs of each model, as well as a favorite feature of each. Let me know what you think of these in the comment section at the bottom of this article.
Regarded as the premier Miter Saw available on the current market – and it’s not hard to see why the DWS780 is held in such high regard. Firstly, it’s a DeWalt product – so you know the quality you’re receiving when you inbox the miter saw for the first time.
The pure power it provides, thanks to a 15 amp motor and a maximum RPM speed of 3800, will allow you to make all three possible cuts you’d need to make with a miter saw; cross, miter and bevel cuts. Just a quick note, you may want to look at the DeWalt DWS779 as an alternative.
Another important note to be aware of is the portability prowess of the DWS780, with a durable and tough design that will suit the day to day contractor moving their tools from job to job.
What features and specs can you find on the DWS780? Let’s have a look below.
- 15 amp motor with a maximum of 3,800 RPM
- Power cord is led through the rail of the back of the model, reducing any contact with the slide
- Stainless steel miter dent plate that also includes a cam lock for easy adjustments and fixed accuracy
- Dust collection system that catches up to 75% of dust during cuts
- Back fence designs cuts up to 2 x 16 lumber at 90° and 2 x 12 at 45°
- 1 x DeWalt DWS780 miter saw
- 1 x Blade wrench
- 1 x Dust bag
- 1 x Vertical material clamp
- 1 x 12″ Carbide blade
My Favorite Feature: XPS Crosscut Positioning System
- Clearer and perfect alignment thanks to a LED light that is projected on both sides of the blade
This 12” miter saw is one of the leading miter saws – but why is that? It comes down to one thing – accuracy.
Of course, I’ve spoken about the power of the 15 amp motor, and that’s definitely nothing to be scoffed at. Yet the accuracy on this model shoots the DWS780 throughout the rest of the competition and to the top, thanks to the XPS Cross-cut positioning system.
Essentially, how this feature works is through an LED light which is projected on both sides of the saw blade. This is done by the XPS, the integrated work light DeWalt have included upon the model.
One of the best things of note about this feature is the extreme precision it provides, allowing you to make cuts that are incredibly accurate. It’s definitely an additional design feature that won’t only assist with accuracy, but also is a handy safety feature.
What do you think of this feature?
We looked into DeWalt previously, and now we’re looking into another reliable manufacturer of power tools, Bosch.
Like DeWalt – with Bosch, you’re aware of what you’re getting, and the GCM12SD has received some raving reviews from many happy customers. One of the core reasons for this high level of satisfaction is the patented axial-glide system, promoting enhanced alignment when making cuts.
It’s also a miter saw that can be used by people of all experience levels, thanks to some convenient and easy to use features. Such examples of these include the bevel lock lever and range selector – all located upfront on the saw for added accessibility.
What other features and specs are found on the GCM12SD miter saw, you’re wondering? Find out below.
- 15 amp, 3 HP motor with 3,800 RPM max speed
- Inclusive dust chute for 35mm and 1-¼” hoses
- Clear lower guard for clear visibility during cuts
- Cutting diameter of 12”, horizontal cutting capacity of 12”, vertical of 6-12”
- Square Lock quick-release fence for 90° alignment to the table of the saw
- 1 x 12” Bosch GCM12SD miter saw
- 1 x 12” 60-Tooth carbide tipped blade
- 1 x Wrench
- 1 x Toolless vertical work clamp
- 1 x Dust bag
- 1 x Vacuum adapter elbow
My Favorite Feature: Patented Axial-Glide System
- Cut with optimal control and precision in the most tightest of workspaces thanks to this patented feature
An exclusive feature to Bosch, the axial-glide system is similar to the DeWalt DWS780 in that it promotes the accuracy of your cuts – however this is where the similarities end.
What does this feature do, exactly? The axial-glide system provides ample space to make extensive cross cuts, whilst still being a compact miter saw. The axial-glide system contains a bending arm that keeps the saw compact.
This means that you’ll have a lot more space to work with, especially if the room is limited within your workshop. It’s one of the heaviest miter saws, weighing in at 88.2lbs – yet it can fit into the tightest of spaces, saving you an extra 12” of room.
How does that sound?
The second and last DeWalt miter saw on our list today, the DWS715 sports some of the features we’ve spoken about with the DWS780, however this model is a little more affordable for those on a budget.
One of the selling features of the DWS715 is the lightweight design, weighing in at only 47 lbs. This is incredibly light for a miter saw, giving it the tick of approval for portability – especially if you’re using this day in, day out for work purposes.
The slight downfall of this model is the included fence. It’s an aspect that some customers have focused upon, stating that the fences don’t run parallel when unboxed for the first time.
Don’t worry too much about this though – as DeWalt have a fantastic customer service team and a three year warranty for this model, meaning that, if this somehow occurs to you – it can be rectified immediately.
The one negative aside, there are a raft of great features that pair with some solid specifications on the DWS715, as I’ve noted in the list below.
- 15 amp motor with RPM speed of 4,000 – one of the highest RPM speeds found in miter saws
- Base molding supports 6-½” up to the fence in vertical position
- 11 positive stops on the miter detent plate
- Make precise cuts with the thin kerf blade, saving material
- Bevel ability of 0° – 48° left, and 0°- 3° right
- 1 x DeWalt DWS715 miter saw
- 1 x 12″ Carbide tipped blade
- 1 x Wrench
- 1 x Dust bag
- 1 x Vertical clamp
My Favorite Feature: Lightweight Design
- Total weight of 47 lbs and its’ compact size makes the DWS715 perfect for home DIYers
Essentially, the DWS715 is a stripped down version of the DWS716, with the latter containing features that would suit someone who’d be using the miter saw in a day to day, professional environment.
Due to this, this model is suited for those working within their workshop, the hobbyist -and the design reflects this.
Without the bells and whistles of the DW716, the DWS716 is a lightweight and slim machine, more so than that of the other models available on the market.
This doesn’t mean it skimps on its cutting capacity, however. The tall height of the fence allows you to work with 5-¼” crown molding, as well as a crosscut capacity of 2 x 8”. It’s a definite miter saw to look at if you fit the DIYer category, and you’re looking for a reliable tool that doesn’t have any additional features you’d find unnecessary for your projects.
This 10” miter saw is unlike many others on the list, with woodworkers primarily in the minds of Hitachi when they designed this model. Not only is it aesthetically pleasing with its’ green color, it also houses an array of features that would be perfect for the experienced miter saw user, and the beginner using for the first time.
The unique features on this model include the Laser Marker System, which aims to increase the accuracy of your cuts. Cuts won’t be difficult for you to make – with the C10FCH2 housing a motor that is incredibly powerful, with a 5000 RPM max speed.
This allows you to make both miter and crosscuts, and it’s something you’ll be able to do quite easily with this model.
What else can you find on the C10FCH2? I’ve listed some specs and features below.
- 15 amp motor with 1950V max output and 1520W max input
- 0-52° miter angle range, both left and right
- 0-45° bevel angle range to the left with adjustable bevel stops
- Laser Marker System provides accurate alignment and consistent blade placement with the laser as a guide
- Pivoting flip fence that raises up to 4” for cutting crown molding in vertical position
- 1 x Hitachi C10FCH2 miter saw
- 1 x10″ 24T TCT saw blade
- 1 x Pivoting flip fence
- 1 x Dust bag
- 1 x Vise assembly
- 1 x 10mm box wrench
- 1 x 4mm hex bar wrench
- 1 x Material support extension
My Favorite Feature: Thumb Actuated Positive Stops
- Conveniently placed and user-friendly, quick miter adjustments can be made with this feature
It’s a tough choice between this feature and the Laser Marker System, yet I’ve chosen this the thumb actuated positive stop feature, mainly thanks to the convenience it provides.
If you’re looking to make miter adjustments, you can save precious time by using this addition to make those changed swiftly, and get back to cutting through your woods. When you do make those cuts, the included dust collector will consume any remnants of the wood, creating a powerful and well-rounded miter saw.
With the LS1016L – you’ll find that, not only is this a great miter saw for the contractor, but also for those who like to hone their skills on the weekend. It’s one of the miter saws on this list that’s on the pricier end of the spectrum, yet for good reason – as we’ll look into below with an example of the features found on this model.
- 15 amp direct drive motor with soft start and a max RPM speed of 3200
- Retractable guard system with increased vertical cutting capacity
- Four-Steel Rail sliding system is patented to this model
- Dual front bevel scales increases visibility
- Laser guidance system is another addition to an already precise saw
- 1 x Makita LS1016L miter saw
- 1 x 10″ 40T miter saw blade
- 1 x Triangle rule for miter saws
- 1 x Vertical vise
- 1 x Dust bag
- 1 x Extension wing
- 1 x Box wrench
My Favorite Feature: 15 Amp Motor With Soft Start
- The 15 amp motor includes a soft-start feature for a seamless and quick start
Power and vibration often come hand in hand with tools – especially those that pack a lot of it into the motor.
The LS1016L is different, with a soft-starting motor that eliminates vibration, reducing this from occurring when switched on.
The direct drive motor will respond at your touches, giving you an added dimension of control when you’re making cuts, whatever they tend to be. What does this do for you? It produces a smooth cut through your woods, cementing itself as one of the most reliable miter saws available within the industry.
Lastly, we look into the M1850BD from Black Decker. This is a lightweight model, and it’s not the fanciest miter saw available that’s packed with the newest technology and features, instead focusing upon the core functions that make a miter saw such a reliable power tool for people to use.
Perfect for the home workshop and the smaller tasks on the jobsite, the M1850BD has one of the lowest amp motors in the class, and is suited well for crafting, framing and trimming projects.
What else can you find on the M1850BD? I’ve outlined this below.
- 9.0 amp ball-bearing motor
- Cutting capacity of 2” x 4” at 90° and 2” x 3” at 45°
- Additional platform for bench cuts
- Let filter up to 45° for angled compound and bevel cuts
- 1 x Black Decker M1850BD miter saw
- 1 x 24T Carbide tipped blade
- 1 x Hold down clamp
- 1 x Dust bag
- 1 x Blade wrench
My Favorite Feature: Built For Portability
- Compact and lightweight, this model only weighs 17 lbs, one of the lightest miter saws available
How much does this weigh? That’s right, 17 lbs.
An incredibly lightweight miter saw, the M1850BD is perfect for those who need to transport their tools, or like to move around constantly within their workshop. The minimized weight is purely due to the die-cast aluminum construction, and due to the stripped down nature of the model – focusing upon the things miter saws do best, making reliable and accurate cuts.
The restrictions of it size does mean that you won’t be able to cut through woods that most miter saws can rip through with ease, yet if you’re looking to start off with your first miter saw and won’t use it everyday – this is definitely one of the miter saws that should be high on your shopping list.
So we’ve looked at six of the best miter saws – for their own reasons and qualities, yet it’s not too difficult to see which reigns above the rest. The DeWalt DWS780 is the premier miter saw available – and it won’t look out of place in your workshop, and would definitely be the envy of your fellow workers on site.
This is due to the 15 amp motor, its’ ability to cover all types of cuts you’d need to make with your miter saw, and the XPS cross-cut positioning system that enhances accuracy and makes for near-perfect cuts.
If this isn’t in your budget – there’s definitely a miter saw within this article that will suit your needs.
What did you think of this guide, do you think I’ve missed anything? Let me know of your thoughts in the comments below.