Are you looking for a handheld tool that can drive in screws with more rotational force than a power drill? Or perhaps you’re looking for a tool that can handle heavy-duty projects involving a ton of screws—like erecting a wooden fence?
Then, you need to consider getting the best impact driver!
With an impact driver, you can drive larger screws and fasteners into hard woodpieces easily and quickly—thanks to its powerful torque that can produce rapid bursts—50 times per second.
But finding the best impact driver could be a daunting task.
I’ve got good news for you!
In this article, I’ll show you ten impact drivers that can comfortably serve you—without issues.
Are you ready to see these impact drivers?
Let’s dive in.
Before you get the best impact driver perfect for your needs, it’s essential to look out for certain features in a tool. And I’ve speedily listed out the top ten choices—with their key features. So, in case you can’t read the whole article, you can check these options with their unique features.
- Best Budget Impact Driver – Hart HPID01B
- Best Efficient Tightening Impact Driver – Makita XDT16Z
- Best Precision Impact Driver – DEWALT DCF809C1
- Best Heavy-Duty Impact Driver – Ryobi ONE+ HP 18V
- Best Driving Speed Impact Driver – Milwaukee 12-Volt M12
- Best Value impact Driver – Hyper Tough 20V
- Best Maneuverable Impact Driver – BLACK+DECKER BDCI20B
- Best Cordless Impact Driver – SKIL 2 CB738401
- Best Versatile Impact Driver – BOSCH GDX18V-1600N
- Best High-Torque Impact Driver – PowerSmart PS76425A
After tons and tons of research carried out and testing, I finally came up with a befitting list of ten of the best impact drivers—in the market.
So, what are yardsticks for choosing the best impact drivers?
The answer is simple!
Three features should always determine your buying decision:
- Torque (nothing less than a rating of 1200)
- Battery (because it’s a handheld tool)
Each impact driver listed in this article ticked the box for each of these features above others.
So, my aim is to help you make well-informed buying decisions. And I plan to do that by talking extensively about each product—to give you a deeper understanding of the topic.
That’s why I recommend that you invest quality time to go through this article and discover the FEATURES of each. By doing so, you’ll find the best option tailored to your needs.
1. Best Budget Impact Driver – Hart HPID01B
The Hart HPIDO1B is the go-to for all your fastening projects. The powerful impact driver offers you tons of features and packs enough power for most projects.
The best part is;
It’s quite affordable. Plus, it gives you value for your money. That’s why we rated it as our best budget impact driver.
Here are other reasons why we chose the Hart HP1D01B as the best in its category:
- The tool features a 20V lithium-ion battery for a longer runtime when working
- Delivers high fastening power up to 1,700 inch-pound of torque
- The HPID01B has a variable speed trigger that allows you to work with speeds between 0 – 2500 RPM for various drilling and driving applications, and a more controlled operation
- You can easily and quickly change fasteners with the 1/4 quick-connect chuck. Plus, you won’t be held up when using multiple fasteners
- It features convenient onboard storage for fasteners
- (1) Hart HPID01B impact driver
- (1) Lithium-ion battery (1.5Ah)
- (1) Fast charger
- (1) Phillips driving bits (2 inches)
- (1) User manual
My Favorite Feature: “LED Work Light”
- The tool features an in-built work light that enhances visibility
With this feature, you’ll never have trouble working in areas with poor lighting.
2. Best Efficient Tightening Impact Driver – Makita XDT16Z
Makita has a great reputation for producing innovative cordless impact driver designs, and the Makita XDT16Z sets higher standards.
The main aim of the tool is proper tightening. No impact driver beats the Makita XDT16Z when it comes to tightening. Hence its title: the best efficient tightening impact driver.
Here’s why I rated the Makita XDT16Z as the best tool in its category:
- The tool has a quick shift mode that finds the most appropriate balance between the speed and torque for different applications. Also, it offers more efficient fastening
- It uses a brushless motor that dishes out 3,600 max RPM and 1,600 inch-pound of max torque
- You can choose from four-speed settings for a more controlled and precise fastening operation and a variety of applications
- The tool features a two-tightening for a quicker tightening of self-drilling screws. Plus, it prevents you from damaging the workpiece of the screw
- It has two side-mounted LED lights that remove shadows from your workspace and brighten up a wider area
- The reverse rotation auto-stop mode automatically stops rotating the impact driver when the fastener is loosened
- Bare tool
N.B: if you want the additional components, there’s the option to purchase the tool as a kit or set.
My Favorite Feature: “Assist Mode”
- Assist mode keeps the impact driver running at low speeds until tightening begins
Thanks to this feature, it’s possible to avoid all “screw came out” and “cross threading” problems associated with high-speed fastening.
3. Best Precision Impact Driver – DEWALT DCF809C1
If you’re particular about getting a compact tool that offers precise fastening and good battery life, then DeWalt’s atomic kit is the perfect go-to.
The DeWalt DCF9809C1 offers the performance professionals need from a compact driver, while its battery capacity is more suited for DIY projects.
Nevertheless, the tool takes favorite fastening to a whole new level.
Here’s why we think this product is the best in this category:
- The DeWalt DCF809C1 has a compact design (only 5.1 inches in length) that can fit into tight corners and confined spaces
- The brushless motor delivers a powerful 1700 inch-pound of torque for a wide variety of applications
- The tool has a DeWalt built brushless motor that offers more efficient performance and longer runtime
- It features three LED lights that make sure your workpiece remains bright in dimly lit areas
- The tool has an ergonomic handle design that makes it comfortable to hold and easier to control
- (1) DeWalt impact driver
- (1) 20V battery
- (1) Charger
- (1) Carrying bag
My Favorite Feature: “Variable Speed Trigger”
- The DeWalt impact driver comes with a variable speed trigger that lets you control the speed of the tool
I like this feature because it controls the tool’s speed and gives you more precision when working on delicate surfaces.
4. Best Heavy-Duty Impact Driver – Ryobi ONE+ HP 18V
The Ryobi One + HP 18V is built to handle demanding and stressful projects. That’s why we rated it as our best heavy-duty impact driver.
Interestingly, this tool offers professionals long and intense applications without failure.
No doubt, DIYers can have fun with this tool, considering that the Ryobi One+ is ideal for numerous applications, and it can withstand the stress that comes with it. But, professionals are the best match for this model.
Here’s why we think this tool is the best in its class:
- The kit comes with a powerful 1/2 inches drill/drive, and 1/4 inches impact driver combo to make sure you get an application done in no time
- The Ryobi One packs concentrated power in one simple and lightweight design. The tools are about 20% lighter than the standard impact drill and perform excellently in tight or confined spaces
- Powerful brushless motor spins at a maximum speed of 1700 RPM and a minimum speed of 450 RPM
- (1) Brushless drill
- (1) Brushless impact driver
- (2) 1.5Ah batteries
- (1) Charger
- (1) Carry bag
My Favorite Feature: “Reliable Power”
- The tool features fade-free and constant power for various applications
Regardless of a job’s difficulty or how long it takes to complete a task, the Ryobi One impact driver will give you enough power to handle it hassle-free.
5. Best Driving Speed Impact Driver – Milwaukee 12-Volt M12
The Milwaukee 12-volt M12 raises the standards for 12V performance with the best impact driver speed.
With this tool, you can get the job done 20% faster than other tools in the same class. Plus, the tool’s lightweight and compact design makes it even better.
Here’s why we think the Milwaukee 12-volt M12 is the best driving speed impact driver:
- The tool uses a power state brushless motor that dishes out 1300 inch-pound of torque for faster driving speeds
- With Red lithium batteries, you can get more work done per charge, with a longer battery life
- The tool features a four-mode drive control that gives better control over the driving speed and power
- Solid LED light under the chuck for better visibility
- (1) Milwaukee impact driver
- (2) Lithium-ion batteries
My Favorite Feature: “Redlink Plus Intelligence”
- With the Redlink plus intelligence, you can keep your tool and battery safe from damage
This feature is my favorite because it protects your battery and tool from getting overheated or overloaded.
6. Best Value Impact Driver – Hyper Tough 20V
The Hyper Tough is one of the most affordable impact drivers on the market. In short, it offers great performance at an affordable price.
Most brands sacrifice performance to make affordable machines, but that’s not the case with the Hyper tough 20v impact driver. It’s a great tool for beginners and DIY projects.
Here’s why we think this tool is the best in its class:
- A long-lasting battery that delivers reliable power for every charge
- The tool has a metal and plastic material design for high durability
- It features a brushed motor that dishes out speeds up to 2700 RPM
- (1) Hyper tough impact driver
- (1) 20V lithium-ion battery
- (1) Charger
My Favorite Feature: “Versatile and Affordable”
- The tool offers everything you need for a small project at a very affordable price
The tool is lightweight, used for heavy-duty jobs, comfortable with an auxiliary handle, and has a compact design. All these features are packed into one affordable bundle.
7. Best Maneuverable Impact Driver – BLACK+DECKER BDCI20B
Black+Decker’s tools are one of the best options to consider if you’re a serious DIYer.
Though the tools don’t meet the requirements for serious jobs, it performs excellently for more common tasks like picture hanging, furniture assembly, lots of other light drilling, and fastening applications.
Plus, its lightweight design makes it easy to maneuver and control.
Here’s why we think the tool is the best maneuverable impact driver:
- The cordless impact driver has a high performing motor that delivers up to 1375 inch-pound of torque
- The hex chuck (1/4 ) uses a quick-release mechanism for easy changing of fasteners
- It has a maximum of 20 volts initial battery without load and an 18 volts nominal voltage
- Features an LED work light that keeps your workpiece bright in dark areas
- (1) BDC1202 20V Max Lithium impact driver
- (1) Screwdriving bit
My Favorite Feature: “Stable Drill Bits”
- This chuck uses a collar that springs back and locks the bit in place
This amazing feature serves as an alternative to magnetic chuck and offers more stability as the drilling bits are locked in place.
8. Best Cordless Impact Driver – SKIL 2 CB738401
The SKIL 2 CB738401 is not called SKIL’s ultimate tool for no reason. On the contrary, the tool is the best with its amazing all-around performance.
The tool offers pro-level features guaranteed to handle many tasks, while the price is well in the range of serious DIYers.
The best part is,
The tool is perfect for both heavy-duty and light-duty applications
Here’s why we think this tool outshines its counterparts in the market:
- The tool’s digital brushless power delivers enough power for both the drill and the impact driver
- You get a 25% longer runtime with the tool’s high-quality batteries
- The cordless impact driver is powerful enough to loosen large bolts and drive screws through hard materials
- Its compact design offers two speed settings, low (0-450 RPM) and high (0-1700 RPM)
- The brushless motor dishes out up to 350 inch-pound of torque
- LED lights near the chuck make your work more visible
- (1) Drill driver
- (1) Impact driver
- (1) Battery (2.0Ah)
- (1) Charger
- (2) PH2 bits
- (2) Belt clips
My Favorite Feature: “PWR Core Battery Technology”
- The PWR core 12 lithium battery offers a long battery life and prevents overheating
Each cell of the battery is wrapped with a cooling material that prevents the battery from overheating. This way, you can keep the battery on for a 25% longer duration and get 2x battery life.
9. Best Versatile Impact Driver – BOSCH GDX18V-1600N
The BOSCH GDX18V-1600N is one model that stood out in the versatile impact driver category.
Other brands, such as the DEWALT 20V DCF885C1, came close, but I felt that Bosch had better usability. On the other hand, some feel the Bosch GDX18V-1600N is one of the top tools in the usability category.
From the look of things, the brand had versatility in mind when building this unit, and Bosch is well-known for its high-quality designs amongst the metalworkers and DIY community.
Here’s why we think this model stands out from the rest in its class:
- The tool features a quick change hex shank (1/4 in.) and a square drive (1/2 ) you can use with sockets and bits
- It uses an efficient and powerful 18V motor that delivers up to 1,600 inch-pound of torque and 3,600 IPM.
- The design of the hammer and anvil system helps you to achieve the highest impact energy
- You can conveniently hang this tool anywhere while working
- It has a single LED light at the bottom of the driver ensures your work stays illuminated
- (1) Bosch GDX18V-1600N impact driver
- (1) Lithium-ion Slimpack battery (18V, 2.0 Ah)
- (1) Charger (18V)
- (1) Carrying bag
My Favorite Feature: “Control in Hand”
- The innovative impact driver design removes the need for socket adapters and offers full control with the variable speed trigger
Everything about the design of this tool aims towards comfort, control, and versatility.
10.Best High-Torque Impact Driver – PowerSmart PS76425A
The PowerSmart PS76425A is another bestseller in the high-torque category.
The PowerSmart brand has given competitors a hard time with its impressive line of innovative outdoor accessories including, cordless household and power tools.
PowerSmart has proven time and again why many users resort to purchasing their line of products.
Here’s why I believe this model stands out from the rest in the high-torque category:
- The tool delivers strong impact power for home use. Plus, it has a max torque of 1750 inch-pound and quickly tightens nuts with a max speed of 1800 RPM
- Its compact design lets you fit into tight spaces, and its lightweight feature makes it easy to use
- It takes only one hour for this model to charge fully. Plus, you get a long-lasting runtime and stable power for effortless work
- (4) nut driver bits
- (4) screwdriver bits
- (1) impact driver
My Favorite Feature: “Adjustable Speed”
- Powersmart Impact driver offers a no-load speed ranging from 0-1800 RPM
With this feature, you can easily control the tool’s speed to get the perfect setting for drilling and screwing.
The best impact driver is the tool you need to drive many screws into hardwood pieces.
Luckily, with my list, you’re halfway there. All you need to do is to select an option that’s most suitable for you.
So, tell me;
Which of the impact drivers in this article caught your attention? Are there others you love—but didn’t see here? Please, feel free to share your thoughts below in the comments section.