Planning to shape or cut some wooden blocks smoothly but can’t settle on the best fixed base wood router to use?
Worry no more. In this detailed guide, I have reviewed 6 of the best fixed base routers in the market today just for you.
If you are a professional or an amateur and want to create elegant designs effortlessly, then a wood router is the tool you should use. The best fixed base wood routers are compact and cheap, allowing you to use them even in small workspaces.
In case you are in a hurry, here are the six best fixed base routers that I have reviewed to help you pick out the best model that fits your needs.
- Best Fixed Wood Router – Bosch 1617EVS
- Best Value Fixed Wood Router – DEWALT DW616
- Best Budget Fixed Wood Router – SKIL RT1323-00
- Best Professional Fixed Wood Router – Ridgid 11-Amp 2 Peak
- Best Performance Fixed Wood Router – Metabo HPT Router
- Best Compact Fixed Wood Router – Avid power11-Amp 2
I have covered fixed wood routers that are versatile and help you achieve smooth edges. They are easy to use and carve simple or complex patterns on any piece of wood. Most of the models are also adjustable, easy to set up and mount at the edge of your board.
To make it easier for you, I’ve included a comprehensive guide below, enabling you to compare benefits from each model to help you make the best decision.
Let’s get started…
Best Fixed Wood Router – Bosch 1617EVS
Bosch 1617EVS 2.25 HP Electronic Fixed-Base Router
Bosch offers you a powerful 12-amp motor and a variable maximum speed of 25,000 RPM.
It’s strong enough to cut through any type of wood for finishing cabinetry and chunky tabletops. Most professional woodworkers prefer this model for its efficiency and compact nature.
This fixed wood router also offers you an excellent sturdy grip that lacks in other models. That way, you can cut through wood without jerking to give you a smooth and even finish.
Here’s why I think this model stands out from the rest in its category:
- A powerful 12- amp motor
- A variable speed of 8000-25,000rpm to match the speed and task of each wood piece
- An adjustable system allowing you to check the depth of its blade
- It has circuitry monitors to maintain consistent speed and performance
- It comes with a specific precision thread holes design for mounting the router precisely
- The router made of sturdy magnesium materials for durability and lightweight
- Simple right or left dial and cord hole to make it easy to use even for beginners
- 1-piece armature shaft for accuracy and long bit shank capacity
- Classic hardwood handles for perfect grips during your routing
- 1/4-inch S.R. collet chuck
- 1/2-inch S.R. collet chuck
- 16 mm shaft wrench
- Collet nut wrench
- Chip shield
My Favorite Feature: “Variable-Speed Motor with a Soft Start”
- A variable speed dial allows you to set the optimal speed range to handle your task.
This means the 1617EVs lets you start softly and increases your preset speed. Note that your router maintains a constant speed as you cut for accurate and clean results.
This offers you confidence in the router, knowing that the motor won’t act up as you move along. As a result, you get smooth transition, precision, and consistency, especially if you’re working on the same design on different pieces.
Best Value Fixed Wood Router – DEWALT DW616
DEWALT Router, Fixed Base, 1-3/4-HP (DW616)
DEWALT DW616 is heavy-duty, versatile, and provides enough power to tackle all your tough woodwork. Although this model packs a smaller 11-amp motor compared to our top pick, it still gets the job done. With the 1 ¾ horsepower, you get a micro-fine depth adjustment ring that allows adjustments for accurate depth increments.
This model doesn’t offer variable speed, which means you’ll need to control the speed as you move your wood. I recommend you use low vibrations to achieve a smooth finish for highly detailed projects.
Here are some of the reasons why I believe this fixed wood router is the best in its category:
- Adjustable, tool-free steel motor cam locks make depth adjustment, and base changes quick and solid locking.
- Detachable cord set allowing for better storage and moving to a different workstation.
- A standard sun-base with mounting capabilities for precision, efficiency, and accurate results.
- Dust-Sealed switch protects against dust ingestion for longer switch life.
- Has a nickel-plated motor housing for a smooth, long-lasting depth adjustment.
- Flattop for easy bit and depth changes.
- Quick-release motor latches for fast and easy motor pack removal for bit and base changes.
- Sub-base concentricity gauge included ensuring bit concentricity for best-in-class accuracy.
- Rubber over-molded handles and low center of gravity design provide best-in-class comfort, balance, and control.
- DW616M motor pack
- DW6184 fixed base
- 1/4- and 1/2-inch collets
- Sub-base concentricity gauge
- Two wrenches; operating instructions
My Favorite Feature: “Power and Performance”
- DEWALT DW616 is all about power, performance, and durability.
With the 1 ¾ horsepower and 11 amp, you can cut all types of wood textures without looking for a complimentary wood router. It also includes a sub-base concentricity gauge that allows you to create accurate and precise wood finishes required on a professional level.
Best Budget Fixed Wood Router – SKIL RT1323-00
SKIL 10 Amp Fixed Base Corded Router —RT1323-00
SKIL RT1323 is a great router, especially if you’re on a budget. It comes with a 10-amp motor, speed control, and solid design. The powerful motor offers you a smooth and precise routing from start to finish. You can also control the speed based on the material for consistently smooth results.
The speed controls allow you to start soft and increase to preset speed, allowing you to get the hang of it without spinning out of control. It also comes with a live tool indicator that lights up when the router is connected to power. In addition, you can enjoy the ergonomic and durable design that provides better control perfect grip when you work.
Here are more amazing features that, in my opinion, makes this model stand out:
- 10 amp router with 2.0 horsepower
- Three coarse depth settings with micro-depth adjustment
- Dual LED lights at the base of the motor
- Speed control 0 to 25 000 RPM
- Soft-start function
- Power-on safety indicator
- Ergonomic handles
- Die-cast motor housing
- Quick-set screws for fixing the edge guide
- Built-in vacuum port for alternate dust extraction
- Die-cast motor housing
- 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch collets
- Collets wrench
- Clear sub-base
- Dust extraction adapter
- Edge guide
My Favorite Feature: “Speed Control”
- SKIL RT1323 provides a safe and controlled start to routing.
This router allows you to adjust speed based on the wood material. That way, you can control the movement and achieve perfect results every time.
Best Professional Fixed Wood Router – Ridgid 11-Amp 2 Peak
Ridgid 11-Amp 2 Peak Hp 1/2″ Corded Variable Router
If you’re a professional woodworker looking for a sturdy and durable fixed wood router, Ridgid R22002 is the best one for you. It packs an 11-amp motor that delivers enough power for thick wood. This model comes with a fixed base for convenience and performance.
Here are some of the reasons why I believe Ridgid 11-Amp 2 Peak out-do the other routers in its category:
- 11 Amp, 2-peak horsepower motor provides the power needed for dense material
- Electronic variable speed with feedback helps maintain speed under load
- Micro-depth adjustment for precise depth control
- Soft start for gradual start-up and extended life of the motor
- Easy access, soft and comfortable hand grips for convenience, and minimum vibrations
- Dual LED lights on the light that shines on your work area for improved visibility
- The fixed base for performance and convenience
- A heavy-duty aluminum housing for sturdy and durability
- Shaft lock for quick and easy bit changes
- Durable flat top design for added convenience when changing bits
- Non-marring high-durability base insert for increased workpiece protection
- Easy-to-read depth scales
- Uses ¼ shank router bits
- ½ corded set
- Shaft locks
- Fixed flat base
- A motor pack
My Favorite Feature: “Sturdy Design and Durability”
- As a professional woodcarver, you need a durable fixed router you can trust, even with the most intricate designs.
This model comes with an excellent ergonomic design that makes it easy to use, and the hex-grips offer you comfort and minimizes vibration. You can trust this wood router to last a long time and provide wonderful smooth results for a long time.
Best Performance Fixed Wood Router – Metabo HPT Router
Metabo HPT Router | Fixed Base | 11 Amp Motor | 2-1/4 Peak HP | Variable Speed | M12VC
Most wood routers are noisy and messy, but this one is for anyone who prefers keeping the noise at a minimal range. This model uses only 79.5dB allowing you to work in quieter environments.
This router is especially great if you’re working in a school, office, or at home with your family, trying to have a quiet time. It also packs a powerful 11-amp motor that allows you to trim, shape, cut fine patterns.
Here’s why I believe this router stands out in its category:
- A 2-stage motor release clamp for accurate depth adjustments and base changes
- 11-mp motor (2-1/4 peak horsepower) for precise, controlled cuts
- Electronic speed control that maintains constant RPM even as the load varies
- Class-leading low noise level, only 79.5dB for a quieter workshop
- Nickel-plated motor housing allows for smooth depth adjustments
- Fine groove cutting, chamfering, window cutting, trimming shaping, and cutting patterns
- Ergonomic styling for better ease in use and finer precision
- Collet Chuck 1/4″ (323293)
- Collet Chuck 1/2″ (323421)
- Template Guide Adapter (323272)
- Centering Gauge (323296)
- Hex. Bar Wrench 4mm (944458)
- Hex. Socket HD. Bolt M5x10 (10 PCS) (949819)
- Wrench 16mm (323294), Wrench 23mm (323295)
My Favorite Feature: “Low Noise”
- Loud noise is the most notable con in most fixed wood routers.
With this model, you get to enjoy a quieter workspace and won’t inconvenience anyone around you. The model is also versatile, sturdy, and affordable.
Best Compact Fixed Wood Router – Avid 11-Amp 2
Avid Power 11-Amp 2 HP Fixed-Base Wood Router with Edge Guide, 1/2 -Inch, 3/8-Inch and ¼-Inch Collets and Carrying Bag
Avid 11-Amp 2 is great for any professional wood smith that moves about a lot. It is compact, lightweight, and durable.
It comes in a convenient package that allows you to pack light and head off to your clients’ workspace. It comes with a 2 horsepower, 11 amp motor, and fixed speed of 25,000 rpm, enabling you to handle all the tough routing jobs. It offers you the perfect grip for stability and accurate finishing.
Here are more reasons why I believe Avid 11-Amp 2 is the best in its category:
- The 11-Amp motor produces 2 peak horsepower to handle a range of woodworking applications
- This router also features a 25, 000 RPM for the fastest and cleanest cuts. Easily tackles the tough hardwoods.
- Micro-fine depth adjustment ring provides precise depth adjustments in 1/64-inch increments.
- This router can be used for a broad range of applications, including precise bit plunging, edge forming, slot cutting, laminate trimming, and dovetail cutting.
- The motor housing and bases are made of aluminum
- The power switch is completely dust-sealed for added durability
- Rubber molded handles provide you with superior comfort, balance, and control, even during extended jobs
- Compatible with all 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2-inch router bits
- Cam lock lever enables simple coarse height adjustments and motor release.
- 1×1/4″ Collet Chuck
- 1×3/8″ Collet Chuck
- 1×1/2″ Collet Chuck
- 2×Carbon Brushes
- 1×Edge Guide
- 1×Tool Bag
My Favorite Feature: “Compact and Convenience”
- Sometimes, you need to go to your client or workplace and bring your wood router. Most fixed wood routers are bulky and make them hard to carry frequently.
This model makes your job easier and best for upside-down crown molding. The machine is also stable, lightweight, and durable.
There you have it: The 6 best fixed base wood routers reviewed for your next project.
Bosch 1617EVS is my best fixed base router and I recommend it for an all-round performance. It offers a powerful motor and variable speed allowing you to start soft and maintain consistent refined work.
You can use it for professional work or home DIYs with ease. This model is perfect for all workstations and compact enough to carry with you. That way you can achieve perfection in every woodwork design you’re working on.
I’d like to hear your take or points of view.
Have I missed the mark or specific fixed wood routers that you feel should be part of this list? Do you have a question about any specific tool I’ve reviewed?
Feel free to comment below with your inquiries, and I’ll do my best to answer your queries.