Have you found yourself needing to buy a new reciprocating saw, but are unsure of what to choose?
I understand you – there are a lot of options on the market, so I’ve done my best to give you an insight and overview into eleven of the best cordless reciprocating saws that are out there.
I’ve listed a quick overview of the eleven cordless reciprocating saws below for your convenience.
Here’s what we reviewed:
- DeWalt DCS367B 20V Max XR Brushless Compact Reciprocating Saw
- Worx WX550L 20V Axis 2-in-1 Reciprocating Saw & Jigsaw
- DeWalt DCS387B 20V Max Compact Reciprocating Saw
- DeWalt DCS380P1 20V Max Lithium-Ion Reciprocating Saw Kit
- Makita XRJ05T 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Reciprocating Saw Kit
- Milwaukee 2720-21 M18 Fuel Sawzall Reciprocating Saw Kit
- Black+Decker BDCR20C 20V Max Reciprocating Saw
- DeWalt Bare-Tool DC385B 18V Reciprocating Saw
- DeWalt DCS380B 20V Max Li-Ion Reciprocating Saw
- Ryobi P514 18V Reciprocating Saw
- Porter-Cable PCC670B 20V Max Lithium Bare Reciprocating Tigersaw
To make it easier for you, I’ve put a brief background of each cordless reciprocating saw below, so you can read through each saw and align with what you’re looking for.
I’ve also noted my favourite features on each saw, and why these features give that saw a nod over the competition.
We’ll start off with one of the heavyweights in the division.
DEWALT DCS367B 20V Max XR Brushless Compact Reciprocating Saw
You can also purchase the saw with the option of six inclusive blades and/or the complete cordless starter kit.
However, for this review, we’ll be looking solely at the stand-alone reciprocating saw.
The DCS367B is widely considered one of the best cordless reciprocating saws that you can possibly buy. With a brushless design, you’re able to get a lot more running time out of this than other saws.
Which is exactly what you’d be looking for, right?
Here’s some information to support the claims that it’s one of the best saws there is:
- Compact and lightweight design, weighing 5.4lbs
- Variable speed trigger, with 0-2,900 SPM
- Pivoting shoe
- 1-⅛” stroke length
- Quick blade changes with a keyless, lever-action 4 position blade clamp
- Lithium-ion battery
- LED-light for illuminating dark work spaces
- DCS367B 20V MAX XR Brushless Compact Reciprocating Saw
My Favorite Feature: Brushless Motor
- Brushless motor design for up to 2.5x more run time
The brushless motor DeWalt have included on the DCS367B completely changes the way you’ll look at handheld power tools. As brushes can become damaged over time and wear down, you won’t have to worry about this occurring.
This model will give you the ability to extend your usage by almost 2 ½ times more than that of other saws.
WORX WX550L 20V AXIS 2-in-1 Reciprocating Saw & Jigsaw
WORX introduces a model which combines both a reciprocating and jigsaw in one, eliminating the need for two tools.
In what is quite accessible, you’re able to share batteries between any WORX 20V tools that you own.
Not a bad inclusion at all, right?
Let’s see what you think of some of the other nifty features WORX have included:
- 6lbs weight
- 3,000 SPM
- ¾ stroke length with tool-less blade change
- Pivot design which interchanges from jigsaw to reciprocating saw in seconds
- Compatible with ANY reciprocating saw and a t-shank jigsaw blade
- Built-in dust blower to remove any debris, increasing visibility
- Motor location and design eliminates any slippages or incorrect alignments
- 1x WORX WX550L 20V AXIS 2 in 1 Reciprocating Saw & Jigsaw
- 1x 20V Lithium-ion battery
- Drill bits
- Step drill bits
My Favorite Feature: 2 in 1 Reciprocating Saw & Jigsaw
- 2 in 1 reciprocating saw and jigsaw allows for swift blade changes
It’s a no-brainer, this one.
With having two blades in one, you’re eliminating the need for separate saws.
The blade changes within seconds, and combines both aggressiveness and power into one.
You’ll come to find that it is definitely a feature that gives the WX550L the tick of approval.
DEWALT DCS387B 20-Volt MAX Compact Reciprocating Saw
The DeWalt DCS387B can be bought in the following two options – the reciprocating saw on its’ own, and a package which includes both the saw and additional blades.
We’ll be looking at the reciprocating saw itself, so let’s discuss below what some of the best features of the DCS387B are.
- Lightweight, compact design at 5.4lbs
- Variable speed trigger for precise cuts and blade control
- 0 to 2,900 SPM
- Keyless blade change in four direction
- Fits nearly all blades across all brands
- Adjustable shoe
- 1-⅛” stroke length
- Bright LED light for dark work spaces
- DCS387B 20V Max Compact Reciprocating Saw
My Favorite Feature: The Compact & Lightweight Design
- Compact & lightweight design allows the DCS387B to fit between incredibly tight spaces
The DCS387B is one of the smaller cordless reciprocating saws available. With a total depth of 14.75” this saw will fit in between studs, giving you the ability to cut in confined spaces.
Being smaller than most models, the DCS387B doesn’t compromise on power and strokes.
With a 1-⅛” stroke length and variable speed trigger allowing for 2,900SPM, the DCS387B won’t look out of place in your toolset.
DEWALT DCS380P1 20V MAX Lithium-Ion Reciprocating Saw Kit
DeWalt introduces another reciprocating saw into our list, with the DCS380P1. This model is heavy duty, and like some of the alternative DeWalt models we’ve looked at in this review, is an upgrade on the previous 18V models.
Here are some of the features that DeWalt have included on the DCS38P1:
- Variable speed trigger of 0-3,000SPM brushed motor
- Blade clamp with four separate positions
- 1-⅛” stroke length
- Keyless blade change
- Maximum control and comfort with rubber over the molded comfort grip
- Double oil sealed shaft for durability and to minimise contamination
- 1 x DCS380 20V Max Reciprocating Saw
- 1x DCB205 20V Max Premium XR Li-ion Battery (5.0Ah)
- 1x DCB115 Charger
- Kit Box
My Favorite Feature: Adjustable & Pivoting Shoe
- Adjustable and pivoting shoe for cutting depth control
An extremely handy feature.
With the adjustable and pivoting shoe, blade life is increased – and so is your leverage when making cuts. The length of the blade can be shortened thanks to this feature, and the addition of the multi-positioned blade angles allow for navigating awkward spaces.
Makita XRJ05T 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Saw Kit
Similar to the WORX reciprocating saw model, Makita has a ‘one battery model’ which allows you to use your 18V Makita batteries across the entirety of its’ 18V LXT cordless tool range.
Great thinking by Makita, isn’t it?
We’ll look more into this powerful contractor saw and its’ features below:
- Weight of 8.2lbs and compact design of 17 ¼” in length
- 1-¼” stroke length
- Retractable tool hook and tool-less blade change
- Innovative crank mechanism to minimize vibration and blade deflection
- Electric brake
- 2-finger large variable speed trigger
- Soft grip made of rubber to maximize your comfort
- Fixed shoe for durability
- Built-in LED light with both pre and afterglow
- 1x 18V LXT Brushless Reciprocating Saw (ZRJ05Z)
- 2x 18V LXT Lithium-ion 5.0Ah Battery (BL1850B)
- Reciprocating Saw Blade
- Tool Case
My Favorite Feature: The Two Speed Brushless Motor
- 2-speed brushless motor delivering speeds of 2,300SPM low and 3,000 high
There are so many features on this Makita model I enjoy, it’s difficult choosing one.
However, I couldn’t go past the two-speed brushless motor.
Makita have produced brushless motors for some time now. With the two speeds, you’ll be able to cut through a majority of materials with a slow start in the lower speed.
With the higher speed, you’ll find yourself cutting through materials with complete ease.
Milwaukee 2720-21 M18 FUEL SAWZALL Reciprocating Saw Kit
Classed as the most powerful in the 18V tier, the Milwaukee 2720-21 M18 provides a combination of both power and durability, giving it the edge in both runtime and tool life over alternative saws.
Let’s look into the other features that prove the Milwaukee should be added to your inventory:
- Weight of 8,9lbs
- 1-⅛” stroke length
- Up to 2x more run time and 5x tool life than other saws in the 18V class
- Adjustable shoe and hang hook
- Optimized performance and overload protection using total system communication
- 1x M18 Fuel SAWZALL Reciprocating Saw
- 1x M18 REDLITHIUM XC 4.0 Extended Capacity Battery Pack
- 1x M18 & M12 Multi-Voltage Charger
- 1x Blade
- 1x Carrying Case
My Favorite Feature: Stroke Speed of 3,000SPM
- Brushless motor with stroke speed of 3,000SPM
Milwaukee claimed they had the fastest stroke speed of its’ class, and boy – they weren’t wrong.
With an immense 3,000SPM and a 1-⅛” stroke length, this reciprocating saw is definitely on the powerful side of the 18V class. With an inclusive brushless motor, this saw has a constant supply of power, which increases the speed of your cuts and also minimizes heat.
This results in a longer life for this model, saving you money in the long run.
To me, that’s a winning combination.
BLACK+DECKER BDCR20C 20V MAX Reciprocating Saw
With the Black+Decker BDCR20C 20V reciprocating saw, we look at another brand which had introduced a holistic battery platform for their 20V models.
As well as the battery platform, we’ll look at some additional features of the BDCR20C:
- Lighter than most reciprocating saws at 4.5lbs
- Stroke length of ⅞”
- Variable speed trigger for increased control
- Electric brake for improve control
- Tool-free blade change
- Adjustable, pivoting shoe
- 1x BDCR20 20V Max Lithium Reciprocating Saw
- 1x Reciprocating Blade
- 1x 20V Max Lithium Battery & Charger
My Favorite Feature: 3,000SPM Motor
- Light-duty saw with 3,00SPM plus variable speed trigger
Light duty saws often have don’t get the credit they deserve for the power they can punch.
The BDCR20 model includes a very impressive 3,000SPM motor which is perfect for cutting for your pruning needs.
The only thing I believe marks down this saw when compared to others is the stroke length.
DEWALT DC385B 18V Reciprocating Saw
The DeWalt DC385B 18V reciprocating saw is a bare tool, so unfortunately it doesn’t come with a battery or case – which you’ll have to purchase separately.
However, there are some great features of this saw that outweigh this.
Let’s have a look at this below.
- Weight of 4.98lbs
- High performance, variable-speed motor of 0-3,000SPM
- Lever action keyless blade clamp which is four-positioned
- Sure-grip and anti-slip rubber handles for optimized handling
- 1x DEWALT DC385B 18-volt cordless reciprocating saw
My Favorite Feature: Open Top Adjustable Pivoting Shoe
- Adjustable pivoting shoe with an open top for visibility when cutting through materials
DeWalt really do think of you and me when designing these saws, don’t they?
With an open-top design, this gives you a clearer view of what you’re cutting – and with a motor that can reach speeds of 3,000SPM – you’ll definitely want to see what you’re tearing through, which will be most, if not all materials you come across.
DEWALT DCS380B 20-Volt MAX Li-Ion Reciprocating Saw
Another bare tool option, DeWalt allows you to use the DCS380B with existing batteries and blades you have.
As well as this, there are a number of additional features on the DCS380B:
- Weight: 6lbs
- Keyless blade clamp
- Stroke length of 1-⅛”
- Speed of 3,000SPM
- Variable speed trigger
- Adjustable shoe
- Added grip for optimal comfort
- LED light for dark workspaces
- 1x DCS380 20V Max Reciprocating Saw
My Favorite Feature: Four Position Blade System
- Four Position Blade system provides keyless blade changes and flush cutting
The four position blade system allows for work in tight areas, assisting with odd angles that can be difficult to reach normally. This increases both your performance and efficiency.
If you’re a contractor or moving from job sites, I would recommend giving the DCS380 a look.
Ryobi P514 18V One+ Variable Speed Reciprocating Saw
There is a lot to like with the Ryobi P514.
Another reciprocating saw in the 18V class, Ryobi combines comfort, longevity and raw strength in the P514.
Let’s have a deeper look into what makes this saw stand out above the rest of the pack.
- Weight of 4lbs
- 0-3,100SPM motor
- Backwards compatible – works with multiple types of Ryobi Lithium-Ion batteries
- Tool-less blade changing
- Non-slip handling suitable for all conditions and settings
- 1x Ryobi P514 18V Cordless One + Variable Speed Reciprocating Saw
- 2x Blades
My Favorite Feature: Anti-Vibration Handle
- Anti-Vibration handle which absorbs shock from the motor for finer cuts
With such a powerful motor at 3,100SPM, I wouldn’t be surprised if your first thought was of how much the tool would vibrate.
Luckily, Ryobi has this covered.
With the anti-vibration handle, the P514 is able to absorb the shock that the motor will provide at high speeds. This allows you to make cuts which are more precise, without worrying about lack of power or having to rest due to a longer session working.
Definitely a winner, what do you think of this anti-vibration tech?
PORTER-CABLE PCC670B 20V MAX Lithium Bare Reciprocating Tigersaw
With the last of the reciprocating saws, we look at the Porter-Cable PCC670B.
Whilst it may not be the biggest brand we have looked at, don’t discount some of the excellent features this saw has, which we’ll get right into below.
- 3,00SPM motor for tough cutting
- 1” stroke length
- Pivoting shoe assists in constant contact with material
- Overmolded handle for maximized comfort when cutting
- Variable speed trigger
- 1x Porter cable PCC670B 20-volt MAX Lithium Bare Reciprocating Tigersaw
My Favorite Feature: Compact Design & Weight
- Weighing only 4lbs and with a compact design of 14.5”
Porter-Cable introduces one of the lightest reciprocating saws you can find. This allows you to reach tight spaces, and also reduced the risk of injury with both the overmolded handle and weight.
We often stress how power and lightweight can come hand in hand, and with the PCC670B, we see another example of this.
So there we have it!
All eleven of what we think are the best reciprocating saws reviewed, with their features and my personal recommendations added.
The DeWalt includes too many features I couldn’t ignore – such as the brushless motor, an impressive stroke length, and the two speeds which would assist in ripping through most materials.
I’d love to hear your views, though.
What do you think is the best cordless reciprocating saw available?
Or did we miss one that might be your preferred choice?
Leave your comments and feedback below, we’d love to hear from you.