Last Updated on August 28, 2022 by Barry Gray
Circular saws are an incredibly powerful tool that many serious contractors and hobbyists should have within their arsenal.
Over time, the cordless circular saw has risen from the shadows of the corded varieties, thanks to their compact and lightweight design, as well as the increasing power and additional features which can see these models out-perform the corded versions.
Yet, there are many models to choose from – all of which can overwhelm even the most experienced woodworkers. To combat this, we’ve rounded up the five best cordless circular saws that will be perfect for all experience levels and budgets, so you can make your decision a little bit easier.
Want to find your perfect cordless circular saw, but don’t have the time to read through the entire article? No problem, we’ve listed the five models reviewed in the list below:
- DeWalt DCS391B Cordless Circular Saw
- Milwaukee M18 2630-20 Cordless Circular Saw
- PORTER-CABLE PCC660B Cordless Circular Saw
- BLACK+DECKER BDCCS20B Cordless Circular Saw
- Ryobi P506 Cordless Circular Saw
I’ve stated that there are many versions of cordless circular saws to choose from, all with their own pros and cons as manufacturers look to make sure you purchase their models over others.
To cut the fat, I’ve put together this list that includes cordless circular saws from all areas of affordability, and suitable for the professional contractor, and the casual hobbyist who would use their models infrequently.
I’ve added a description of each of these five models, as well as the features they include, so hopefully, I’ve made this easier for you.
The DeWalt DCS391B is one of the best selling circular saws that can be found in the cordless market, and it’s no surprise as to why when you study the specifications of the model in detail.
A lightweight design, the DeWalt DCS391B is built with durability in mind – and not only over the span of years, but to also get the job at hand done efficiently in a powerful manner. The no-load speed of 5250 RPM and an impressive depth of cut provides added versatility to your skillset that many other cordless circular saw models can’t match.
One of the most impressive features of the model is the compatibility with other batteries and DeWalt tools that form part of the every-growing 20V Lithium-Ion battery sharing system. This feature allows you to share with other models and 20V batteries within DeWalt’s class, giving you much more tools to work with – especially if you only buy DeWalt.
There are many noteworthy features to love about the DeWalt DCS391B, which we’ve listed below:
- Powerful motor with an RPM speed of 5250 maximum
- The shoe is incredibly strong and built from lightweight magnesium which increases accuracy
- Bevel capacity of 0-50° is perfect for many applications
- Extended power time allows for more cuts per single charge when on the job
- Overmolded grip on the handle increases grip and reduces fatigue during work
- Included within the 20V DeWalt battery sharing system
- Inclusive blade brake
- ⅝” arbor size
- Depth of cut is 1-⅝” at 45°, 2-¼” at 90°
- 1 x DeWalt DCS391B Cordless Circular Saw
- 1 x 6-1/2″ Carbide-tipped Blade.
My Favorite Feature: Powerful Motor
- 5250 RPM motor will allow you to tackle any task at hand, paired with an impressive cutting depth and a ⅝” arbor
Where would you be without a powerful motor aiding you in your cuts? Not very far, that’s for sure.
This won’t be a worry of yours when it comes to the DeWalt DCS391B, which can attain a maximum speed during cuts of 5250 RPMs – which is one of the highest in the cordless class.
The DeWalt DCS391B’s motor is not only perfect for the DIYer with its ability to tackle household cuts with ease but is also perfectly suited for the contractor needing this on-site, day in, day out. Paired with the impressive cuts per charge – you’ll definitely be getting everything you can out of the DCS391B.
One of the first things you’ll notice about this cordless circular saw is how light the M18 2630-20 is. This not only reduces fatigue and allows you to work for longer periods of time, but also allows you to work in tighter conditions – a feature that many corded varieties of circular saw don’t allow the flexibility of.
An impressive bevel ability is also included, allowing you to make 50° cuts. There’s also the added feature of the magnesium guard, which is located on both top and bottom. These will shield the 2630-20 from any damages, and protect from recoil when in use.
What else is there to enjoy about the 2630-20 Cordless Circular Saw from Milwaukee? We’ve listed some noteworthy features below.
- Total RPM attainable speed of 5,000
- 50° capacity for bevel cuts
- Redlink Plus intelligence maximizes performance through the advanced electronic system
- Compact and lightweight design with a total weight of 6.8 lbs
- Integrated LED headlight for clearer sight in darker environments
- Molded, rubberized grip handles allow for increased comfort and less-slipping in warmer conditions and also under fatigue
- Magnesium guard and shoe for a lighter saw and increased durability of the saw itself
- 1 x Milwaukee 2730-20 M18 Circular Saw
- 1 x Blade wrench
- 1 x 24 tooth carbide blade
My Favorite Feature: Electric Brake
- The electric brakes will immediately stop the blade when cuts are finished
Manufacturers are constantly looking for new ways to improve the time you’re spending on your projects, by eliminating unnecessary features and optimising their models to allow for working more efficiently.
One fine example of this, is the electric brakes which can be found on the 2630-20. Simply put, the purpose of these electric brakes is to stop to the blade of the saw when a job has finished – and quickly, too.
Instead of having to wait for the blade to stop rotating, (which can also damage and wear down your blade as time passes), Ryobi have included the electric brakes that will immediately stop the blade.
This is not only great for your blades, but it also saves you precious time post-cut, allowing you to spend more doing on other aspects of the project you’re working on. We’re all aware of how valuable our time is when on-site or around the home – so it’s definitely a handy addition, isn’t it?
Whilst it may not stack up to many of the brands here when it comes to popularity and name, there’s one aspect that the PORTER-CABLE PCC660B excels – its value for money. This model is one of the cheapest models in our review today, and it’s priced at a cheaper price, despite the quality of the saw itself.
This model is one of many reviewed today that have an exclusive battery sharing platform – being included within PORTER-CABLE’s battery sharing platform. The PCC660B is built and optimized for your non-traditional cutting applications, thanks to a beveling shoe that can pivot up to 50° – perfect for those out-of-the-box cuts
There are many features that the PORTER-CABLE PCC660B includes that other and more expensive corded circular saws don’t have – and you can see for yourself in the list below:
- 4,000 RPM motor can tackle almost any application and job
- Lightweight design, with a total weight of 6.5 lbs
- The total size of 6-½”
- Incredibly quiet when in use
- An overmolded handle is optimized for comfort and reduces fatigue when in use
- Beveling shoe up to 50°
- Cutting capacity of 2-⅛”
- Included within the 20V Max system
- 1 x PORTER-CABLE PCC660B Circular Saw
- 1 x 18 tooth carbide tooth blade
My Favorite Feature: The PCC60B’s Value For Money
- Watching your budget? The PCC60B is a great value for money, without compromising on power or features
The PCC60B sits on the pricing spectra which is bound to attract many customers, however many are also wary of cheaper products, worried that they don’t match the quality of pricier cordless saws.
The PCC60B is not a bare-bones model, yet also doesn’t include many additional features that some users would find redundant in a circular saw, instead, focusing on the features that are needed to get the job done – matching the necessity of many hobbyists.
The PCC60B is best seen by many users who have years of service on their belts as a perfect learner’s saw – so if you find yourself in this category, you definitely won’t be disappointed. If you’re looking for a cordless circular saw that is built for the worksite, however, then perhaps you’d be more suited to one of the other models we’ve reviewed today.
Another great option when it comes to the value of your buck, the BLACK+DECKER BDCCS20B is a smaller circular saw – but don’t let this fool you, as it’s still quite powerful for its size.
In saying this, the BDCCS20B is not as extensive when it comes to its features as some of the other models within the cordless circular saw a class that we’ve reviewed today. It’s not made for heavy-duty cuts, which can see many contractors turning this over in favor of something else.
Yet, if you’re looking for a cordless model that won’t break the budget and is perfect for helping out around the home – you’ll definitely be making a great decision in adding the BDCCS202 to your inventory.
Here are some added reasons why the BLACK+DECKER BDCCS20B would be a great fit for you:
- 5-½” High torque motor
- Lightweight and compact design of 7.55 lbs
- Easy depth adjustments with the tool-free depth of cut
- Bevel adjustments of up to 45° and 90° for perfect angled cuts
- Fast and clean cuts
- Inclusive, two-year warranty
- 1 x BLACK+DECKER BDCCS20B Cordless Circular Saw
- 1 x 20V max* Lithium battery
- 1 x Charger
My Favorite Feature: Included Within The 20V Max System
- BLACK+DECKER’s 20V Max Lithium-Ion Battery System allows you to share batteries for any tools within this platform
Battery sharing platforms have become increasingly more commonplace in the power tool industry, and the reason that this is our favorite feature of the BDCCS20B is due to the value for money this addition provides.
Whilst the BDCCS20B may be a bare-bones model when compared to some of the other cordless models we’ve reviewed, the 20V Max System allows you to share batteries with other tools BLACK+DECKER products – which also include their lawn and garden tools (should they be compatible, of course)
What are your thoughts on these battery sharing platforms that many companies now include within their catalogue of tools? Let me know of your favorite in the comments at the bottom of the article.
Ryobi is another reliable manufacturer of power tools, and their P506 cordless circular saw is a worthy mention in our list, and for some very good reasons. Firstly, we have an attractive price for a high-quality design.
Secondly, the P506 is designed with user ergonomics in mind, forcing you to work smarter rather than harder. This is achieved by the rubber overmold, which allows for an easier grip in the toughest of conditions – which reduces fatigue from cut to cut – as well as a laser guide for the most accurate of cuts and finishes.
Included is a very strong 24-tooth carbide blade, which can rip through a majority of woods – and this is also in thanks to 4,700 RPM motor included within the P506 – which increases performances by up to 40% than that of other saws.
As well as this, the P506 is also compatible with Ryobi’s One+ system, which is their take on the battery sharing platform – showing that there is much to like with this design. If you want to find our other favorite aspects of the P506, we’ve listed these below:
- 4,700 RPM Motor
- Total weight of 5 lbs
- Included within the One+ Ryobi battery system
- The laser guide is included to provide clearer cuts when working, for an accurate finish
- Overmolded rubber grip reduces user fatigue and is perfect for all conditions
- The blade is located on the left of the saw to improve control
- Accessible knobs for adjustable depth control up to 1-9/16”
- Beveling angles from 0 to 50°
- Provides up to 60 cuts on each charge
- Arbor size of ⅝”
- 1 x Ryobi P506 Cordless Circular Saw
- 1 x 24 T Carbide Tipped Blade
- 1 x Blade Wrench
My Favorite Feature: Laser Guide
- Inclusive laser guide allows you to make accurate cuts, and provides a line of sight in all conditions
Cutting under fatigue is something that you can become used to overtime, yet it doesn’t mean it’s getting easier when doing so. Thankfully, Ryobi are aware of this also – and have added some features in order to assist you with your accuracy when under fatigue, such as the rubberized grip and the laser guide.
The laser guide is provided by a laser beam projector on the head of the saw, in order to assist in the most difficult of conditions. This is a perfect addition, especially when many workers are often forced to work from different angles, and the vision of the blade can be skewed.
With the laser guide – you can always be assured that your cuts will be straight, and won’t have to put yourself under too much stress in order to achieve these cuts when doing so.
We’ve reviewed five different cordless circular saws in our review today, all of which have different advantages for their own reasons – and would suit a variety of different people.
Yet, if you’re looking for the best of the bunch, it’s very hard to go past the DeWalt DCS391B Cordless Circular Saw. Its impressive motor is perfect for ripping through a majority of woods and is a reliable mention thanks to DeWalt’s superiority in the power tool game.
For those DIYers who are looking to finally get around to their weekend projects but don’t want to spend a fortune – the Ryobi P506 is perfect for those starting out their trade and want to learn the basics.
The PCC660B from PORTER-CABLE is a great cordless model that is perfect for those looking to purchase a saw, without putting a dent into the savings, and also sports some handy features that will allow you to get the job done.
I’d love to hear your thoughts, however. What’s your favorite cordless circular saw on the list we’ve reviewed today?
Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.