Are you struggling to find the best budget wood router? You can now relax as I’ll help you find the ideal budget wood router.
A wood router is a valuable tool for any seasoned DIYer and professional woodworker. The best wood router enables you to make a quality finished product. It is a powerful tool, functional, and yet easy to operate.
However, you don’t need an expensive tool to achieve beautiful, decorative woodworks. There are some best budget wood routers available to kick up your results a notch.
There are many varieties of the best budget wood routers available in the market. Understandably, you might be overwhelmed. Here are the 6 best budget wood routers in the market today:
- Best Budget Wood Router – Makita RT0701C
- Best Versatile Budget Wood Router – Avid Power 6.5-Amp Router
- Best Runner-Up Budget Wood Router – Bosch PR20EVS Router
- Best Value Budget Wood Router – Enertwist ET-RT-710S Compact Router
- Best Performance Budget Wood Router – WEN RT6033
- Best Professional Budget Wood Router – DEWALT DW616 Router
I have researched and compiled the best affordable tools to help you acquire a quality model.
I recommend you use this guide to make the best decision when selecting the best wood routers for your workstation.
Let’s get started…
Best overall Budget wood router: Makita RT0701C
Makita’s RT0701CX7 compact router model delivers precision and performance in a compact design.
It features a powerful 1 1⁄4 horsepower motor with a variable speed of between 10,000 and 30,000 RPM. This feature allows you to maintain constant speed under load and soft start for smooth start-ups.
This wood router is built with heavy-duty aluminum motor housing for durability but remains lightweight for packing convenience.
Here are other reasons why I believe this router is the best budget wood router:
- It has a soft start feature that ensures smooth start-ups
- It comes with a high visibility base design that improves performance
- You can easily remove the base to install others
- It comes with a heavy-duty aluminum motor housing that makes it durable
- It has a shaft lock for quick and easy bit changes
- Durable flat-top design for added convenience when changing bits
- Has a non-marring high-durability base insert for increased workpiece protection
- It has easy-to-read depth scales
- It uses 1/4″ shank routers bits
- It’s double insulated
- 1/4″ Collet (763637-1)
- Straight Guide (122965-7)
- Spanner Wrench (781039-9)
- Spanner Wrench (781011-1)
My Favorite Feature: “Power and Precision”
- Makita wood router is a powerful tool and is eager to help you shape, trim, and cut wood to your desired designs.
It packs 1 1⁄4 maximum power for refined results. In addition, this model includes a smooth rack and pinion fine depth adjustment system for accurate settings and improved performance.
Best Versatile Budget Wood Router – Avid Power 6.5-Amp Router
When on a tight budget, you would think that your choices are limited. However, with the Avid Power 6.5-Amp wood router, you can still achieve quality results.
With this versatile model, you get a 1/4-inch collet and powerful 1 1⁄4 horsepower motor. It also offers you variable speeds between 10,000 and 32,000 RPM.
This model also comes with a pair of LED work lights, a useful tool bag, and 12 feet of cord to make your work easier.
Here’s why I think the Avid Power 6.5-Amp router stands out from the rest in its category:
- Has a powerful 1 1⁄4 horsepower and 6.5 amp Motor delivering enough power for all your routing applications
- It has a variable speed control dial
- It comes with a depth adjustment system
- It has dual LED lights that are bright, making it easy for you to work in dark areas
- Avid Power contour gauge duplicator is upgraded with a metal locking mechanism, making it more durable and stable than others’ plastic locks.
- It’s durable as its made from the heavy-duty aluminum core
- Comes with an Allen wrench
- The single needle of this contour gauge duplicator is designed as 0.06, providing you with more accurate data when tracing the shape.
- 5 high-quality router bits
- An edge guide
- A dust hood
- ¼” and 3/8″ collet
- 2 Pack Contour Gauge Duplicator
- A wrench
My Favorite Feature: “Contour Gauge Duplicator”
- A contour gauge duplicator is an advanced metal locking system that allows you to duplicate odd shapes and curves accurately.
You can now transfer a design on floors, tiles, home improvement, carpet laying, woodworking projects, ceramic measurements, and linoleum installations without damaging the original finish.
Best Runner-Up Budget Wood Router – Bosch PR20EVS Router
Bosch PR20EVS is my runner-up best budget wood router because it’s compact, lightweight, and easy to use.
This model is perfect for users with weak arms, DIYers, and beginners. It has a 1.0 horsepower, 5.6 Amp motor, and variable speed that ranges between 16,000-35,000rpms.
Compared to other large routers, this tool comes with an ergonomic palm grip making it comfortable to handle while working.
Here are some of the reasons why I think Bosch PR20EVS is the best in its category:
- Comes with a 1.0 HP, 5.6 Amp, and variable speed motor with speeds from 16,000 to 35,000 RPM
- It has a straight edge guide
- It has an angled cord exit that keeps the cord out of the way when working
- It has a rugged aluminum fixed base that is durable, solid, and precise
- A finger support pockets for additional stability, especially when trimming edges
- A fast and precise depth adjustment system allows both macro and micro adjustment, while the quick-clamp system allows the motor to be easily adjusted or moved from base to base
- The PR20EVS provides enhanced bit capacity with a fixed base that accepts bits up to 1 5/16 inch in diameter
- It has a versatile bit changing system
- PR20EVS Palm Router
- PR001 Fixed Base
- 1/4-Inch, Self-Releasing Collet Chuck
- Shaft Wrench
- Collet Wrench
My Favorite Feature: “Ergonomic Palm Design”
- This wood router is compact, lightweight, and efficient. It is an excellent tool for amateur woodworkers and won’t strain your hands.
The machine comes with a perfect palm grip design that sits well and allows you to concentrate on your work compared to professional wood routers. Moreover, you can trust it to produce precise designs every time you use it.
Best Value Budget Wood Router – Enertwist ET-RT-710S Compact Router
Compared to the rest of the models on this list, Enertwist is the most affordable wood router. It houses a 1.25 HP motor with 6 variable speeds ranging from 10,000 to 32,000rpm.
It comes with a soft start feature used to increase speed, electronic speed control, and maintain speed no matter the wood material. You can also use the overload stalling protection to prevent the machine from stalling.
In addition, it comes with a quick-release cam lock system for easy base removal.
Here are more cool features of this budget wood router that have convinced me that it’s the best wood router in its category:
- Has a durable 1.25 HP motor powerful to meet the toughest applications
- Variable-speed enables bit speed to be optimized for changing materials
- It has a soft start motor for a smooth start-up
- It has overload protection that prevents the wood router from stalling/burning
- It comes with an accurate rack-and-pinion depth setting for more precision cutting
- Heavy-duty cast aluminum motor housing engineered for increased durability
- Comes with a dust extraction hood for superior dust collection
- Clear depth scales graduated in both inch and mm for easy-to-read
- Quick-release cam lock system for easy depth adjustments and base removal/installation
- Its ergonomically designed body helps to increase comfort and control
- It has a vibration-reducing cast aluminum housing and base for easy and smooth work
- Comfort soft-grip handles are mounted low for maximum control
- Spindle lock for quick and easy bits changes
- It has a flat-top design – the router sits upside-down, making it convenient for bit changes
- Straight edge guide
- Curved edge roller guide
- Dust extraction hood
- 1/4″ & 3/8″ Drop-forged collet
- Collet nut
- Spanner wrench
- Replacement carbon brush set
My Favorite Feature: “Clever Electronics Speed Control”
- This feature allows you to produce incredibly clean and smooth cuts.
This is because a model without electronic speed controls can’t stop rapid speed changes while working on materials of different textures. But this feature makes sure you get even edges and a smooth finish even when working on rough or uneven surfaces.
Best Performance Budget Wood Router – WEN RT6033
WEN RT6033 Plunge base wood router introduces you to larger-scale routing on a budget. It’s best for carvings and intricate designs. This machine is versatile and offers both 1⁄2 inch and 1⁄4-inch collets, allowing you to achieve smooth finishes similar to small and large routers.
With the help of a powerful 2 1⁄2 horsepower motor, you can cut through all types of wood. It also comes with a variable speed between 8,000 to 23,000 rpm for a soft start and easy operation of the tool.
Here’s why I think WEN RT6033 is the best in its category:
- It has plunge base locks that allow it to operate both as a fixed and a plunge wood router
- It has a soft startup design that prevents damage to your workpiece
- Comes with a lock-down knob
- Pop on the included parallel guide fence for routing perfectly straight designs.
- It has a depth stop system that features a 7-stop turret
- It comes with a depth adjustment dial
- The included guide fence lets users rout perfectly straight lines, helping to create dadoes and grooves along with the workpiece.
- Variable Speed Plunge Woodworking Router
- Hard-Shelled Case
- Multi-Function Straight Edge Fence
- Template Guide
- Circle-Cutting Centering Pin
- Fence Scale
- 1-1/2-Inch Dust Collection Duct
My Favorite Feature: “Lock-Down Knob”
- It comes with a lock-down knob that allows you to use this plunge router as a fixed router. That way, you can concentrate on your intricate designs and achieve precise results.
It’s also great for duplicating designs, and the guide fence allows you to route the same features on different wood pieces.
Best Professional Router: DEWALT DW616 Router
If you’re a professional woodcarver, the DEWALT DW616 router is the best wood router for you. It comes with a 1 3⁄4 HP, 11.0 Amp motor, making it easier for you to meet your job demands.
This machine offers you enough power to cut through the toughest hardwoods. It also comes with an adjustable cam lock that allows quick base changes and a solid lock.
Here are other reasons why I believe DEWALT DW616 is the best wood router in its category:
- 1-3/4 HP (maximum motor HP), 11.0 Amp motor provides the power to rout smoothly through the toughest hardwoods.
- Adjustable, tool-free steel motor cam locks make depth adjustment, and base changes quick
- Detachable cord set for serviceability and removes the need for a ‘Shorty’ cord motor pack.
- Has a LEXAN sub-base that provides enhanced bit visibility and base durability
- Has a nickel-plated motor housing that makes it easier for you to make depth adjustment
- Flattop for easy bit and depth changes
- It comes with a micro-fine depth adjustment ring that provides precise depth adjustments
- Sub-base concentricity gauge included ensuring bit concentricity for best-in-class accuracy.
- Its handles have rubber which increases your comfort when using the tool
- It has a heavy-duty, die-cast aluminum base and motor housing that makes it durable
- The right or left switch and cord-set location enable you to switch your right or left hand.
- DEWALT DW616 fixed base router
- DW616M motor pack
- DW6184 fixed base
- 1/4- and 1/2-inch collets
- Sub-base concentricity gauge
- Two wrenches; operating instructions
My Favorite Feature: “Heavy-Duty Aluminum Housing”
- DEWALT is built from heavy-duty aluminum housing for durability.
It’s capable of handling all your professional jobs without breaking down after a short while. It’s perfect if you’re starting your business and your money is divided into many directions.
This model is efficient, affordable, and versatile, allowing you to meet your job description’s demands.
I hope you enjoyed reading the list of the 6 best budget wood routers reviewed.
It contains all the features you would find useful in your line of work. On this guide, my personal favorite budget wood route is the Makita RT0701C.
It delivers performance and precision in a compact design. You can use it as a beginner or professional without any issues. It’s heavy-duty, built for durability, and capable of handling even the toughest woodworks in your workstation.
If you have any questions or comments, please comment below, and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.